How Large Would It Get?

fatboy8

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2012
Philadelphia
Anyone know how large a Wels would get in captivity? Or is there anyone that has a large specimen? Its a fish I've always wanted to keep and I am working on a plan to to do this. I've looked into it and the average Wels grows between 4-5ft. So far I am thinking my blue print would be 8'x6'x3.5 or 3'. This would be pond measurements and possibly indoor above ground with a glass viewing window.

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
There is a guy on here who has a Wallago leerii, the wels' little brother. He also has a 52,000 gallon tank.

His large female Wallago is as big or bigger than the all tackle world record wallago. Iirc she is iver 150 pounds. If you give them space, they will grow.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Zeke

Banned
Jan 29, 2014
chattavegas
Never kept one,but my W.leerii grew extremely fast,like Chix says. Mine got to 30" or so in about 2 years. I only Fed it about 2-3 times per week. My past and current Wallago attu catfish grow similarly fast. The one I have presently is 17" or so and maybe a year old or so. I think Wels should be about the same , although water temperature and tank size will have a lot to do with it. A few people at this site keep Wels ,maybe you can get an answer from them.

fatboy8

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2012
Philadelphia
Never kept one,but my W.leerii grew extremely fast,like Chix says. Mine got to 30" or so in about 2 years. I only Fed it about 2-3 times per week. My past and current Wallago attu catfish grow similarly fast. The one I have presently is 17" or so and maybe a year old or so. I think Wels should be about the same , although water temperature and tank size will have a lot to do with it. A few people at this site keep Wels ,maybe you can get an answer from them.
How large are you expecting your current leerii to grow and how large of a tank or pond do you have for it? I'm hoping that some Wels keepers will comment on this post to get their input as well. I guess really what I'd like to know is would it be wrong to accommodate a Wels to it's average size in the wild? I know that a lot of aquarium fish do not meet their wild potentials but obviously as stated before with the Wallago it can meet well over it's average size.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
From what I have read the real giants are like 50. I think most max out around 4'. I would search European fishing sites and be prepared to use Google translate.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Zeke

Banned
Jan 29, 2014
chattavegas
I had the W.leerii about 18 years ago. It ended up at a Public aquarium. As for the Wallago attu, I am building a house in the next year when I don't have kids in high school . That way don't have to stay in their school district. My plans are for a large fish room with about a dozen species tanks. I am going to build one large tank approximately 16-18'x6-8'x5' tall. Been waiting for about 15-20 years for it. Saved college money. Now time for fish money. I will be doing a thread on it from start to finish.one That's where I will house about 4 Wallago attu when done. Stay tuned.

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
I guess really what I'd like to know is would it be wrong to accommodate a Wels to it's average size in the wild? .
Most cats grow their entire lives and only stop growing at death. Yes, their growth slows dramatically when they reach sexual maturity, but they do continue to grow.

The question one needs to ask themselves is not how large of a tank do I need; but rather, 'how long do I plan to keep this fish'?

If you succeed in keeping that wels alive for 20+ years, there's no reason at all to believe that, given clean water and quality food, the fish should fail to reach 6' or so.

Take from that what you will.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Zeke

Banned
Jan 29, 2014
chattavegas
Agreed. Just like adopting a small ugly kid. It's a long term investment and you're in charge of its health and safety forever, as it will not be going to college, getting married,and moving out on its own. Lol!!!

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Most cats grow their entire lives and only stop growing at death. Yes, their growth slows dramatically when they reach sexual maturity, but they do continue to grow.

The question one needs to ask themselves is not how large of a tank do I need; but rather, 'how long do I plan to keep this fish'?

If you succeed in keeping that wels alive for 20+ years, there's no reason at all to believe that, given clean water and quality food, the fish should fail to reach 6' or so.

Take from that what you will.
I like this angle. And wels can live past 100 years, they say...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store