Help with 3D sytrofoam background

frecklecarousel

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2014
Va, USA
I spent about a month and a half carving a background for my 90g out of various pieces of foam that I had siliconed together, then covered it in 3 layers of quikrete. I siliconed it to the tank then added another layer of quikrete around all of the edges with about an inch overlap onto the glass. It looked awesome for about 3 hours, until the top 2/3 broke off and shot out of the water.

So I am starting over. Since last time it was a lot of cobbled together pieces, I figured this time if I create a solid block and carve from that the stress would be more evenly dispersed and less likely to break apart. I hadn't planned on sealing it with anything, instead I will submerge it for 30 days with a filter running and regular water changes to make sure it is inert by the time I am ready to add fish.

Does this sound like a good plan to anyone else that has done something similar? I also just read where someone had problems with plecos eating through quikrete, and I will definitely have plecos. Would sealing it be enough to keep that from happening? I am not opposed to the idea of creating a fiberglass shell, and then coating that with quikrete to get the look right. It would certainly keep it from floating at least. I have thought about adding in real rocks throughout to add more weight as well, but I have no idea how to do that.

I attached a picture of the background I made before it broke, because I am still really proud of how it came out. Basically though, any advice on how to get that look to actually stay in my tank and not get eaten would be really helpful.

background.jpg

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I made a thick one like yours once, and had the same buoyancy problem.
I ended up cutting out some space in back, and putting bricks inside to weigh it down, and using clamps to hold it against the back wall, because the silicone really couldn't cope with the way it wanted to escape like a breaching whale (I know, you know what I mean).
After a while I just gave up, because it took up way too much space in the tank, and sometimes beat up fish would go behind it and die, very hard to get at without tearing out the whole thing. And, if I didn't notice right away, they'd end up fouling the water.

L98Z28

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2013
PA
Can't really help you out. But I got to say I'd be very proud of that back ground you made. Very nice!!! Shame you can't use it. Good luck and hope you can kinda recreate one that will work for you.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

frecklecarousel

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2014
Va, USA
I ended up cutting out some space in back, and putting bricks inside to weigh it down, and using clamps to hold it against the back wall, because the silicone really couldn't cope with the way it wanted to escape like a breaching whale (I know, you know what I mean).
After a while I just gave up, because it took up way too much space in the tank, and sometimes beat up fish would go behind it and die, very hard to get at without tearing out the whole thing. And, if I didn't notice right away, they'd end up fouling the water.
Ha, yeah, it definitely did not want to stay down at all. The back was cut away, but part of the problem was that I cut too close to some of the parts where it dips in, and I'm guessing that weakened it based on where it broke. With the design I've been working with, I have mesh that goes across the only access point to the back so that the fish can't get back there, but water can(most of the equipment would be hidden back there) Maybe if I did three separate smaller pieces, one on each side and a middle, it would eliminate some of the excess? I'd be able to have more contact with the glass that way too.

Can't really help you out. But I got to say I'd be very proud of that back ground you made. Very nice!!! Shame you can't use it. Good luck and hope you can kinda recreate one that will work for you.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Thanks! I'm hopeful that I can figure out some way to get it to work, I'm too in love with the idea to just give up.

fuzzlebug

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2014
scotland
In the space behind the background could you attach a few pieces of pvc pipe, cap off the bottoms and fill it with sand. Keeps it from flioating and will stop it getting pushed into the back of the tank.

Sent from my GT-S6810P using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

jamntoast

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2014
winnipeg
I've heard of people using solvents to dissolve the styro after the mold is made, that would solve your buoyancy problem, someone please chime in if there is a problem with this theory

PhysicsDude

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2011
Dallas, TX
I did basically the same thing with my styrofoam background. Its in 4 pieces, and one piece is a large rock formation (lots more foam), and it popped out of the water 4 times before I was able to secure it.

I cut out the back of it and put slate floor tiles in it, and then REALLY covered the back with silicone and clamped it to the tank for a whole week before filling the tank with water.

The slate floor tiles have been really helpful for my project. They're cheap, heavy, natural looking, and conveniently shaped which is easy to blend into a syrofoam rock project. You also might try adding a layer or 2 of slate on top of your background. Layered slate tiles have a similar look to what you've got there.

jdmage_mx5

Feeder Fish
Sep 19, 2014
Benton, AR
I did a massive 3d background in my 135 and what helped hold down the bulk was the base layer. I basically made a piece of foam that covered just about the whole bottom and built the textured foam up from that. Then the weight of my media helped hold down the display with the help of silicone every where. I am going on over a year and not a single issue. Here is a photo of the finished project, I tried to find some during the process but did not have any luck. I will look again tomorrow. Also notice the shoebox size cave, that was my main fear but as mentioned before I applied a full sheet of foam on the bottom and attached everything with silicone (4 big tubes to be exact LOL).544910_10151426680133473_926539486_n.jpg

544910_10151426680133473_926539486_n.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store