HELP! I'm almost sure my Flowerhorn has Ribbon Tapeworm....

SIROCS

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2014
Romulus, MI.
Hi,
I think my White Tiger Flowerhorn has Ribbon Tapeworm. When he poops many long white (ribbon like) strings come out as well, hang around for a bit and then retract back inside his intestines. I've searched everywhere online and all I can seem to find are results for humans contracting them. It doesn't seem to be affecting his health or appetite "yet" but I fear for the long term. He was purchased from Thailand almost a year ago and I had spotted these worms nearly 6 months ago but then they went into hiding again until today.

Does anyone know what treatments I can use to "Nip this issue in the butt"? Lol.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

IMG_3524.JPG

IMG_3513.JPG

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Treat it with Praziquantel.

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
Wow thats quite disturbing. Good news is tapeworms arent really detrimental to health right away. They can slowly cause malnourishment over time and were even used for a human diet aid before. I did read that fish can get them but ive personally never seen it but that does appear to be what your fh has

SIROCS

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2014
Romulus, MI.
Hey guys!
Great news, I took your advice and bought some liquid PraziPro, put the dosage in my tank and within a few hours he released around 30 or more 3" tapeworms. All dead of course. Then kept on releasing more throughout the night. Really, really disgusting to think he's been lugging these creatures around with him this whole time. I plan on re-dosing him one more time in a couple days to be sure this issue is gone.

Finally, he can have a meal to himself without the worms getting to it first lol. Thanks again for all the tips and advice! You guys are awesome!

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Good to see things working out alright.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store