Blue cat vs. RTC- Humor me with this guys...

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Hey guys, this is completely hypothetical for now, but may be relevant in a few years.

What are your thoughts on a blue cat and a swimming mouth... er, I mean, RTC as tankmates when starting young? Good, bad, ugly, whatever, I'd like to hear your thoughts on this pairing.

Thanks!

SePPii

Dovii
MFK Member
May 21, 2011
Chesapeake, OH
I'm not sure about the blue cat but I have a RTC who may spend some time with a flathead catfish in about 6 months

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
You know blue catfish better. I've never had one. Compatibility-wise, it has a good shot. Health-wise and water-needs-wise, it is not too terrible - in nature both are exposed to hot summers and cooler winters, blues more so though. RTC, of course, evolved in more acidic water.

Aesthetics-wise, it is in the eye of a beholder. Purists and biotope enthusiasts will be much turned off - it's like seeing a grisly bear and a lion in one enclosure for them. But most people don't know what fish comes from where and what they need. And then, there are those who are willing to compromise for a chance to raise and study both, and that's probably us :)

Zeke

Banned
Jan 29, 2014
chattavegas
I have kept them together. Blues from 1-100+ surround me in the Tennessee River here where I live. Blues reminded me of an Iridescent Shark. They are moving almost constantly (opposed to the Channel ,Bullhead, and Flathead Catfish)and love lots of current. Unless you get them at a very small size, they are difficult to acclimate to aquarium life. Redtails ,in my opinion would grow faster than the blues. The blue catfish around here eat fish probably 90+% of the time, with the Threadfin , Gizzard, and Skipjack shades species making up a very large percentage of the fish eaten. The Blue catfish also are not in the least territorial or aggressive towards tankmates that are too large to be eaten. The more I think about it, it really is THE North American Iridescent Shark. That's my opinion for what it's worth.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I have kept them together. Blues from 1-100+ surround me in the Tennessee River here where I live. Blues reminded me of an Iridescent Shark. They are moving almost constantly (opposed to the Channel ,Bullhead, and Flathead Catfish)and love lots of current. Unless you get them at a very small size, they are difficult to acclimate to aquarium life. Redtails ,in my opinion would grow faster than the blues. The blue catfish around here eat fish probably 90+% of the time, with the Threadfin , Gizzard, and Skipjack shades species making up a very large percentage of the fish eaten. The Blue catfish also are not in the least territorial or aggressive towards tankmates that are too large to be eaten. The more I think about it, it really is THE North American Iridescent Shark. That's my opinion for what it's worth.
Nice. Very educating. Thanks! IDS is a docile fish, a marked non-predator. I think you are referring to paroon. This analogy is much closer, the NA version of paroon :)

Interesting info on the captivity. So, if I catch a 100-lb one from the wild and try to transition it to a 20,000 gal tank, it will most likely die, won't it? Is that what you are saying? I need to start with a 6"-er and grow it out? How long will it take to 3'? 4'?

Shad species, not shades. Dang spell check, again. Sorry.
You do have 30 min to edit your post :)

Zeke

Banned
Jan 29, 2014
chattavegas
Yeah, I suppose Paroon would be more like it. Even at 6" they are really picky feeders. 2-3" is the size that would be ideal. For me anyways. They have a relatively small mouth when young as well. Also, they really need to be in a small school to be more at home when housing them. It took months , literally, to get the big guys at the downtown aquarium to eat constantly on the diet of fish,squid,mackerel,and other meaty foods. In the wild ,when they are 10+ pounds, they remind me of saltwater sharks. They chase the shad and attack the bait balls ferociously. Even attacking them on the surface. The biggest blue I've ever landed on rod and reel was 55 lbs. and I hooked and landed it in about 30 minutes on 8lb line. I hooked it on accident while fishing for Smallmouth Bass using a live crawfish for bait. Glad I was in a boat so I could chase it till I wore it out.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Thanks much again. Yes, my planned purpose too is to get a big one for my Public Aquarium. Eventually. The big ones taking months to adjust is not too alarming to me. Cats can fast up to 4-8 months and bounce back like nothing happened IME.

Zeke

Banned
Jan 29, 2014
chattavegas
Correct. I have seen it happen numerous times. I can get you any size you want. Just may take some time for a true giant. You would have to hire a fish truck with aeration to move a big'in. Lol.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store