Got myself a small red belly pacu.... then found out it will get massive.. :\

NeonFlux

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2010
Los Angeles
BUMMED. I thought they would only get to about 20" inches and just a tad bit more, and will do fine in my 250 gallon along with my red hooks, regular SDs and other fish as the massive, focal, centerpiece fish king of the tank, but however after doing some research..... $%&#.... :( Looks like they reach to about 42" inches?!?!? X_X I seen some sources say they will be fine in a 250 gallon. But then there are other sites saying they need 400 gallons and need 1000+ gallon tanks? I'm getting mixed opinions, answers, and etc out there that I'm going to faint... I MEAN.. REALLY??! 1000+ gallon tank? I mean, don't they only get that BIG in the wild? Sounds crazy, but would I be able to get away with having only just one in a 250 gallon with my other fish? Gah, I want to keep it so badly.. I understand that once it gets really big, I have to up my filtration quite a bit and try to keep the nitrates down to 20ppm and lower.. but geez.. what do you guys think? Impossible to home it in my 250 gallon in the future, or it's going to be okay? I should have done more research on these guys. Shucks..

Here's a pic of it at the LFS's tank and on the palm of my hands after I netted the baby pacu out.

Currently in a quarantine tank.

What are your thoughts, folks....? Return the little guy or is it a keeper?

Thanks all.

-William

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
Pacu are one of the most often purchased fish people dont realize how big they get. Not only do they grow up to be large powerful trash cans but there are actually quite a few stories out there of them breaking tanks as they outgrow them. imagine the force even at 20" and roughly 5lbs swimming full speed into glass? Mine woke me up many times from the basement. And the bigger of the 2 was maybe 16" when I found them a 4000g home

NeonFlux

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2010
Los Angeles
It's a good thing my 250 gallon is acrylic.. Thanks for some of your input, brich. Any more thoughts guys?

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Unless you've got a spare swimming pool, I'd take it back. Those things grow shockingly fast, too.

NeonFlux

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2010
Los Angeles
:(

....I see.. :X

NeonFlux

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2010
Los Angeles
:\ Gee... I don't know, folks.. after doing more googling and research, it seems like a fair amount of aquarists on various aquarium forums and other aquarium sites with their info are saying 250 gallon is already good enough for just one. Should I just go for it and keep it in my 250 gal long? Might have to feed the pacu in moderation, not feed quite as often nor do any power-feeding, and lower temperatures about 78-82 F to control it's.. growth? I mean, these guys don't get to eat 24/7 in their natural habitat, right? Just to be able to maintain it's size and growth in the 250.. Perhaps that is a little too cruel to hold back feedings?

NeonFlux

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2010
Los Angeles
*sigh* I got so excited too with this little guy thinking he/she would be such a great special addition... taking so many pics of the little pacu and all that. Alright.. well, I guess I'm going to take the advice you guys gave me and take it back to the LFS where I got it this afternoon. It's the best thing to do.. I don't want to have to deal with rehoming/stunting the poor little pacu one day once he becomes a 42" monster or something.. I've done even more research and, I'm really convinced now these guys will get way too large enough for me too handle far into the future anyway.. besides, I'm pretty stocked in my 250 gallon and really shouldn't be getting anymore fish.

Thanks a lot for all the help guys. If you all still want to discuss about the pacu I have, or pacus in general, feel free to.

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
Wise decision. Glad you didn't just shun the advice like a lot of people on here seeking false reassurance.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Reactions: FIU Panther
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store