LED Lighting questions

drummerboy1248

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
Texas, USA
I have always just had the standard florescent lights on my tanks. You know, the ones that came with the tanks. I currently have a 125 gallon 6 foot long tank. I have two 24" fixtures with an Aqueon Colormax, 17W, 120V, T8 bulb in each. The tank is a CA/SA community, unplanted, tank.

I find this lighting to be barely adequate. The coloration of the fish is godd at some spots in the tank and terrible in others. So, I would like to upgrade the lighting. It seems to me that LED would be the best option. High output, efficiency, low power concumption, longevity, price point, etc. I am looking at the Aquasun HO LED lights.

What size fixtures do you think I should get? I am not sure if I would need one long (48 - 60") fixture, two 36", two or three 18" or 24"? What would you do and why? Are there other brands I should consider? I really don't have time for a DIY project.

'

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
With LED's I always go more, the beams of light are very focused so the better coverage you can get the better.

Alot of storebought fixtures extend to fit the tank. Marineland has a 36"-48" and a 48"-60" ..so if your tank is 4ft long go with the larger one.

Ive got a 48-60" ($105 only) marineland double bright Led fixture that UPS says will be here monday, its for my 90g, but ill give it a test on my 75g and let you know how It looks.

My planted tank still has florescent tubes. I tried a pair of 24" waterproof LED strips off eBay. They are so dull I use them for moon lights and my fluorescents during the day. So you may be coming out ahead with going store bought.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
Incase you were wondering I got my Marineland doublebrights today.

Ordered them for my 90g in progress and tested them on my 75g.

All I can say is WOW! easily twice or three times as bright as my fluorescents. The shimmer effects are amazing and very pronounced. Coverage is superb. Moonlighting is great. Not too bright on the blues like some have complained.

I Just cannot get over how bright they are. Im happy The 90g is taller, these are almost too bright. Its almost an unnatural hospital room white glow. I'm sure ill get used to it.

This is through atrocious filthy glass tops. Hardwater stains algae, the works.
uploadfromtaptalk1410928947462.jpg
Excuse the mess, ive got media bags floating, numerous air driven filters and canister hoses hanging. ive re homed most of the equipment on the tank to others while I prepare to switch over to a sump system.

But yeah, bright as hell. Or ma6be heaven rather?

Sorry no before pics.

Best $100 one can spend on lights imo.

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
I came close to pulling the trigger on the beamswork. They seemed to have good specs and be well received. Like any knockoff product from the far east it seems like quality control is hit or miss, some last years, some last months. But overall not bad. There are a few generations and styles, I had a hard time finding a retailer that had concise specifications and a good part description.

Then I found the marineland on amazon for $105 and free shipping. I knew what to expect, I knew the number of LEDS, the wattage, the color spectrum, and hundreds of reviews of that exact unit. Compared to $200 for the same unit at petsmart or $75 for a beamswork I decided it was fair. I've never personally held a beamswork fixture but I can tell you the marineland is sturdy, the body appears to be aluminum, I have the feet as small as they go, (48") but extended they seem sturdy.

All in all I took the same approach as car shopping, look I know this chevrolet isnt "the best" or "the worst" but I know what to expect down the road, good and bad. Lol

noside

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2014
NJ
Personally I think the marineland single brights are better then the double brights. My double bright was the first to fail out of 13 led fixtures. The light is very focused with the lenses they use and lack of reflector.

In order of what I've used and what I like least to most.
Aqueon modular led these are a waste if you don't buy additional light strip imo.

Marineland double brights first to fail in my series and light distribution sucked.

Marineland single bright. Great even light distribution just not that bright.

aquatic life edge led. This is a good all around light with built in 3ch timer. Big plus in my book.

Current usa led+ I thought I hit the jackpot with these but I've had issues with the 1st gen power supply without the green on light burning out while on full spectrum. Current usa has replaced these for me no problem.

finally
The newest fresh on the market Ecoxotic E90. This light is beautifully bright. As bright as 2x current usa led+ on my 24" wide 36" deep tank. Built in timer and proper reflectors which makes for amazing distribution. I can't comment long term problems as I've only just got this light yesterday.

I could take pictures of them in action but correcting every pictures white balance properly and breaking out the dslr is not something I feel like doing ATM

TheBroc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2014
CALIFORNIA
I purchased a 72" beamswork for my 125g. Great light. I like the look of one light extending the whole length of the tank. There are live plants in this tank as well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store