Best carbon to remove tannins

Torchia32

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
California
Hey guys, my water is clearing slowly, but the leakage of the still present tannins keeps my water from reaching that extremely clear stage. I am using some carbon in my canister to help clear it up. Is there a carbon you can recommend that works best for removing the tea color of tannins? Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Heretik

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2013
The Great White North
Purigen is more like small beads, and requires something like "the bag" which Seachem also makes. Im sure there are other alternatives so someone else could chime in and help you out further. You can buy then already bagged too. Purigen is white and when it turns a brown color it needs to be recharged.

Yoimbrian

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2013
Twin cities
Marineland makes loose carbon. It worked for me.

Works a lot better if the water is forced through it like a tray of a filter. If you leave it in a bag in a sump it'll help a little though.

vr6fan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2010
Waukesha, WI
Purigen blows carbon out of the water...and it can be recharged...it removes tannins in hours..highly recommend it over carbon

Sent from my SCH-I545 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

allathlete5

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2014
Southern California
Purigen for sure! When I first put some driftwood into my tank it turned my water into some nice dark tea. Purigen can be bought in small pouches, each pouch treats 100 gallons. Honestly one of the best investments I've made in this hobby. Only need bleach to recharge it too.

Heretik

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2013
The Great White North
Depending on tank size and what filters you use. Might be better to buy multiples and keep them on a rotation thats what i did when i used it.

PDRed302

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2011
Fort Worth Texas
Depending on tank size and what filters you use. Might be better to buy multiples and keep them on a rotation thats what i did when i used it.

Did this for my large tank that runs 2 FX5's. I haven't used carbon in years, Purigen is the way to go. Not only does it not need to br replaced constantly (because of its ability to recharge) but does a great job of keeping the water crispy.

reptilerescued

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2014
nepa
Good to know.
I've been soaking a a piece that's 2 ft by 27 inches and 1 ft. in diameter for a month.
With weekly WC's and it's still bleeding off.
I cut it today drilled some slate and screwed it to the log through the slate into the 12 inch log part and stuck it in the tank to see how it looked.

It still floats & is bleeding so I took it out and put it back in to soak. Once it sinks on its own it's going in the tank. I was going to use carbon but I'll go purigen.
Again thanks to the original OP for asking and thanks for everyone that answered.
Keeps me from wasting carbon that I don't use anyways.
Rich

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store