rugf sand why the pantanal so clear?

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
Not sure how I ended up staring at videos underwater of the pantanal but one thing always baffled me and thats why it is so clear compared to any other bodies of water ive seen. This video isnt in english and I cant understand hardly any but I think he is talking and showing the sand bottom and how the water is filtered by it. Id love to know more and know if anyone has tried to replicate it with a reverse undergravel filter and deep sand bed. My guess is you would need a high head rated pump but why not turn the whole tank bottom to a sand filter?

BRASILIEN PANTANAL - Expedition 2011: http://youtu.be/i9cwsEs4tuY

Tharsgaard

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2014
Scotland
Could always just use a heating cable under the sand to get a decent enough flow for good BB colony? Stunning looking scenery and fish their though.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Tharsgaard

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2014
Scotland
Its springs coming from underground thats bubbling through the sand.

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
Its springs coming from underground thats bubbling through the sand.

Right and that water pushing through sand filters it right? I mean that water is unlike anything ive seen but then again I havent seen any other parts of the amazon with a boiling sand bottom. Just wondering if anyone has been able to successfully recreate something similar. Im afraid with heating cables you dont get much flow. I used a heating pad on my old nano tank but I dont think it created much if any flow

Tharsgaard

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2014
Scotland
Yeah the sand would be quite deep I think so it'll be well filtered by time it reaches the river. Their wouldnt be any noticable flow from UG heaters but it would push the warm water though. Their is already alot of people using reverse UG filters in fresh and marine tanks it makes for good BB filtration.

Tharsgaard

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2014
Scotland
P.S. thanks for sharing the vid I love seeing underwater in the wild and that really was beautiful to see. 😊

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
Ill have to do more homework this is something im probably going to try. I run deep sand anyways and that vid made my jaw drop with the clarity. I just wasnt sure if you could realistically recreate something like that or if you would need such a deep sand bed it wouldnt be practical. I feel like a typical rugf would move a couple inches of sand right out of the way and end up with a bunch of dunes in the sand. Or maybe im wrong. Engage research mode

Tharsgaard

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2014
Scotland
Yeah you wouldnt need too much flow or your tank will look like a snow globe ha :p

qguy

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2009
Vancouver. Canada
I think the water is clear because that section of the river is getting new water from the spring. I do not think there is bio filtration in the sand bed as the new water from underground does not have the necessary nutrients for the bacteria to survive

Clear water in a tank is basically filtering the particles with a high flow rate and using the right mechanical filter and having enough bio filter to prevent bacteria bloom.

We used to have a farm with a pond and the pond gets water from the underground and it was crystal clear.

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
That was what I was wondering but if it is just the fresh water flowing in that causes clarity wouldnt all flowing rivers be clear? And where is it coming from?underground I know but it isnt like a cycle somehow? I really need someone to translate for me because that is impressively crisp water and the video seems to be about the sand bottom

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store