My Leiarius pictus

SuperDave

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2008
C.A
Hi guys, I've been afk for a while with life and stuff, but I just wanted to reintroduce my Leiarius pictus who is about 6 years old now.

She's the boss of my tank and not afraid to throw her weight when other fish are in her path. The nice thing is that she wont eat my smaller fish and is mainly fed on a variety of pellets. But that being said, I had a 14cm Oscar that was suddenly picked on very badly, she sensed this and ate him. I only had time to witness the main event, I had no chance for a rescue. She only chases my Oscars when they don't get out of the way, you know they can be hard-headed. :popcorn:

Here is a baby photo for comparison, she was raised from 12cm in my 570 gallon to a healthy 70cm.
attachment.jpg

Here are a few pics I just took with my cell, I also added a new photo album if you're more interested. Cheers MFK!
@ http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/album.php?albumid=7271

aa.jpg
20140914_005511.jpg

aa.jpg

20140914_005511.jpg

attachment.jpg

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Beautiful cat and tank, Dave! I think this is the first time I saw an adult L. pictus of that age. Very grateful for your interesting photos. And welcome back!

SuperDave

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2008
C.A
Beautiful cat and tank, Dave! I think this is the first time I saw an adult L. pictus of that age. Very grateful for your interesting photos. And welcome back!
Hi thanks for the kind words thebiggerthebetter :)

doubledragon

The House Of Endlie
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2006
ohio
Hey, glad to see you back SuperDave!!!
I still have my two Lp cat's also.

Infact, I've had them together for probably a year now. They are both about 2ft, in a 300g. They have their good days and bad days. But I haven't had to seperate them yet. As soon as I set up my next two setups I think I will though... Maybe...

SuperDave

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2008
C.A

Infact, I've had them together for probably a year now. They are both about 2ft, in a 300g. They have their good days and bad days. But I haven't had to seperate them yet. As soon as I set up my next two setups I think I will though... Maybe...

Hey thanks man, its good to be back lurking around the forums. I look forward to some pics doubledragon :)

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA

Good to see this can be done "semi-successfully" in a "small" vessel. I've put two 12"-ers into a 1000 gal pond and one has been asserting his/her dominance non-stop over the other and the other learned to stay away (they both like the same ponds nook). The other is often a tad beat up but no blood, just scuffle marks. They are now 1.5'+, been a year or so.

At one point I introduced a 3rd one, same size and same "batch" just was growing separately. The third one lasted 1 week. At the end it looked like it's been through war, missing chunks of the dorsal and the bottom lobe of the caudal and bearing numerous scuffle marks, including bleeding ones. Out it went back into his prior 1500 gal lair and healed up.

SuperDave

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2008
C.A
Good to see this can be done "semi-successfully" in a "small" vessel. I've put two 12"-ers into a 1000 gal pond and one has been asserting his/her dominance non-stop over the other and the other learned to stay away (they both like the same ponds nook). The other is often a tad beat up but no blood, just scuffle marks. They are now 1.5'+, been a year or so.

At one point I introduced a 3rd one, same size and same "batch" just was growing separately. The third one lasted 1 week. At the end it looked like it's been through war, missing chunks of the dorsal and the bottom lobe of the caudal and bearing numerous scuffle marks, including bleeding ones. Out it went back into his prior 1500 gal lair and healed up.

Awesome, I would love to see some pics :)

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store