Best food for fish argument

Jag586

Piranha
MFK Member
May 28, 2012
st clair shores
My brother n law and I are arguing what the best food for predatory fish. I say live or frozen whole fish he says pellets now I understand that if you feed feeders you run into the parasite problem but let's say you breed your own feeder fish and your own brine shrimp... And there is no chance of you fish getting sick off your own live food. What would be best food or your fish?
Pellets cheap, easy to store, no hassle
Live feeders (home grown) whole pray item more nutritious
Flake I hate flake so I don't know

Yea there are cons too like feeders take good food to grow and feed your feeders and pellets arnt 100% what the fish should eat there are fillers and such

What do all of you say?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
Varied diet of all sorts of live, frozen and prepared foods. If I was to feed only one thing It would be a homemade gel food so I know the diet isnt missing anything. I just think of it as if I were a fish. Would I want one food all the time or would I switch it up now and then? Ofcourse it depends on the fish you keep but you would be shocked trying different things like fruits and veggies for cichlids etc. But by feeding varied diet I figure my fish are less likely to develop any issues from missing something from their diet.

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
I highly doubt the average feeder, home-grown or store bought, would be more nutritious than a good quality pellet food like NLS...

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
Never underestimate the nutritional value of whole foods for all kinds of animals. Fish and humans included ;-)

Sent from my SM-N900T using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
I'm well aware of that, my dogs eat a raw prey-based diet, and my wife and I eat almost no processed/packet food. I just don't feel that the average tank raised feeder fish will be as nutritionally complete and balanced as top quality prepared food. I guess it could be OK for a true piscavore though, but many predators eat more than just fish.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
I'm well aware of that, my dogs eat a raw prey-based diet, and my wife and I eat almost no processed/packet food. I just don't feel that the average tank raised feeder fish will be as nutritionally complete and balanced as top quality prepared food. I guess it could be OK for a true piscavore though, but many predators eat more than just fish.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Very true, most feeders are low quality.

Sent from my SM-N900T using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
There's a work around for predatory species kept in captivity.......... gut loaded live feeders that are raised by the owner. So take your NLS pellets, David, and feed them to the live feeders that you've personally raised, and then immediately feed those NLS gut filled feeders to your fish.

Best of both worlds. :)

760fishaddict

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2014
yucca valley
1 massivor pellet is equal to 1.8 gold fish and packed full of protein and nutrients, also tilapia meat is dirt cheap and is way better for growing fish then any live food.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store