Need help! Think I have nematodes.

Un4given187

Feeder Fish
Sep 13, 2014
Hopelawn,NJ
I can see these white worm like creatures free swimming in my aquarium water. I just did a water change 9/11/14. They are in my BN pleco breeder tank. Is there anything I can buy in the petshop that I can get to get rid of them.Please let me know Asap.

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
Do you always see them free swimming or do you notice them mostly after water changes? If they are about 1/4" long and move in a zig zag pattern they are likely nematodes And harmless. Their numbers increase when excess food is left in the tank amd the best way to reduce their numbers is thurough cleaning of all gravel etc. Make sure you dont overfeed or their numbers will grow. Also most tetras, bettas etc would love to take care of that issue for you.

Un4given187

Feeder Fish
Sep 13, 2014
Hopelawn,NJ
I noticed them yesterday. They are free swimming. Some big and some small. I noticed a lot in my sponge filters and threw them out. Now I am running my aqueon power filter with a new sponge rubber banded to it to prevent my pleco fry from being sucked up. None of these worms are attached to the glass. I read nematodes can be harmful to fishand I am worried of losing my stock. they do swim zig zag though.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store