Protein Skimmer Setup

Fullysick

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2014
Australia
So just settin up my first saltwater tank. Have been letting it cycle for a few days w/ some live rock and decided to turn the skimmer on last night.

My skimmer is a Jewel Skimmer 3.0 (tank is around 50g w/ sand and a big ornamental ship in it and a coupla pieces of live rock atm).

Anyway I started off the skimmer with the nozzle fully turned up and the collection cup overflowed and water was going everywhere.

I then turned it down and have been slowly adjusting it to find that sweet spot but it seems that either it overflows or just fizzes.

What should I do? What is the optimum level for the bubbles? Should they be overflowing into the cup? Or just sitting in the cylinder?

Oh also, in the water the skimmer blows air at the bottom of the tank and blows sand all over the tank. Is this normal or is there a way to stop it?

Will attach pics (some of cup overflowing, others of skimmer barely fizzing)

Thanks for any help in advance

IMG_0276.JPG

IMG_0277.JPG

IMG_0278.JPG

IMG_0279.PNG

IMG_0280.PNG

epond83

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2009
Duvall, WA
Usually skimmers take a while to start working until they get a slime coat built up. Plus you might not have much material to skim yet. The bubbles should not flow into the cup. The foam head should get dark and slowly spill into the cup

Fullysick

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2014
Australia
Ahh okay cool thanks!

Yeah I only just put in the rock so there wouldn't be anything at all really.

Ive currently got the bubbles to be at the level shown in the pic...is that a good level whilst it "breaks in"?

IMG_0281.JPG

epond83

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2009
Duvall, WA
That looks about right, once the top head starts to get darker in color it should start to spill over. If it doesn't then you can adjust it height. Further more at that point you can tune it for color of liquid in the cup. To dark turn it up, too light turn it down.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store