Apurensis Catfish Not Eating

ericmagnus

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2014
Manila, Philippines
Look, i know it's veryyyyy weird, as these lil buggers are eating machines, but after being such a pig, my apurensis suddenly lost its appetite. It used to eat from my hands every night. Now, it wouldn't touch a single morsel. I tried putting in some feeders and he hasnt eaten any as well. Water parameters are completely okay.
Ammonia is 0
Nitrite is 0
Temp is constantly at 80 F
PH is 6.5

I also use black water extract

Anyone experience this before? Not much info out there about cephalosilurus apurensis fasting and having issues on feeding. He's still active and doesnt seem to have any parasites and coloration loss. He's in a 75 gallon tank with a watermelon panaque. Any advise will be great. Thanks!

Zeke

Banned
Jan 29, 2014
chattavegas
I kept one years ago, like 1992. My fish would overeat if you'd let it, then it would fast. I decided to feed it only 2 or 3 times per week after that. I also varied its diet constantly. From then on it ate every time it was offered food. By the way, I remember paying about $15.00 or so for it. The store had no idea what kind of catfish it was, but I did, thanks to the Axelrod atlas. No internet back then.

ericmagnus

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2014
Manila, Philippines
I kept one years ago, like 1992. My fish would overeat if you'd let it, then it would fast. I decided to feed it only 2 or 3 times per week after that. I also varied its diet constantly. From then on it ate every time it was offered food. By the way, I remember paying about $15.00 or so for it. The store had no idea what kind of catfish it was, but I did, thanks to the Axelrod atlas. No internet back then.
15 bucks, good deal! How big was he when he started fasting? Mine's about 9 inches now. Yeah, maybe i should feed him 2-3 times a week only from now on. Do you think it might be from the stress of brawling with the watermelon pleco? They have their own corners in the tank but sometimes, they do have minor fights which decreases as time passes. When i first put in the plec, the fights were intense. Now its just when someone encroaches on either's territory

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Is it bloated, distended, or very "fat"?

What are the nitrates?

Is the pH and temp stable? Small swings in pH can be very stressful for fish. Is your black water extract quite acidic? How long have you been doing it? Is there a good buffering capability in your tank?

ericmagnus

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2014
Manila, Philippines
Is it bloated, distended, or very "fat"?

What are the nitrates?

Is the pH and temp stable? Small swings in pH can be very stressful for fish. Is your black water extract quite acidic? How long have you been doing it? Is there a good buffering capability in your tank?

Nope, doesnt seem to be boated or very fat. He's eaten 2 weatherloaches last night. But thats it, he's not as greedy as he was before. PH is constantly at 6 and the temp is constantly at 81-82 degrees F. I've been using the black water extract for a year now, starting with my gulper who just passed away. I've been adding it to my apurensis tank eversince i got the apurensis 3 months ago. Nitrates reading is at 10ppm

It all started the night before i added in the watermelon pleco. The apurensis regurgitated a piece of sardinella i fed him the night before. He used to eat 3 whole sardinellas. Now he barely touches them. He also used to eat out of my hand. Now he shy's away.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
So it appears to be related to the pleco introduction?

If yes, new fish can bring in new bacterial, viral, and parasitic cultures. Perhaps it is being affected by something like that and is "under the weather" and working out an immunity to them.

If pleco bullies it, then this alone can be the reason.

It may also be that its diet is imbalanced, lacking something, a needed vitamin or mineral or is high in thiaminase.

Zeke

Banned
Jan 29, 2014
chattavegas
I bet it's Pleco related now I have heard more info. My Wallago attu Catfish's regurgitation is stress related 100% of the time. It is one of the greediest,most aggressive feeders that I have ever owned. Every single time it regurgitates its food it has been spooked or has been the object of some type of interaction (good,bad,or neutral) with the other fish it is housed with. In my opinion, it's a fight or flight response. Having an empty stomach lessens the load, whether to get away from predation or to stand up for itself and fight for the territory in question. Snakes have the same behavior somewhat. I think your Pleco is a badass and has your other catfish wary and somewhat afraid of the unknown aggressive capabilities of his new tankmate. If I really liked my apur cat, like youseem to, I'd move the scum sucker Pleco to a different location. I bet dollars to dimes that's the problem. My humble opinion sir. Thanks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store