Tetra Water Changer

apastuszak

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 4, 2010
Bensalem, PA
www.stamphack.com
Years ago, I bought a Tetra water changer that was pretty much a clone of the Python No Spill Clean and Fill. It used blue parts instead of green ones. At the time, it was the only thing that the store carried. Well, I have lost the valve for it, and am trying to get a new one. Sadly, the product is no longer made. I don't know if the Python valve will work with it, so I'm looking for either DIY options (PVC pieces at Home Depot/Lowes), or getting a replacement cleaner.

The options these days seem to be the Python No Spill Clean and Fill or the Aqueon Aquarium Water Changer. How do the two compare? From my brief looks, there are two things I like about the Aqueon over the Python:

1. It's cheaper by at least $10, if not more
2. The piece that attaches to the sink has an actual quarter turn valve to open and close it, rather than python's messy push up and turn valve.

I guess I could also buy the sink attachment separately. Looks like Amazon has it for $11.

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
A waterbed fill/drain valve is similar to the Python type and probably cheaper to buy.

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
My aqueon lasted a year of heavy use.

First the fitting for the gravel vac broke, then the flimsy hose would barely siphon, it would just collapse. Then finally the valve on the sink broke in half.

So my aqueon water changer has been systematically replaced piece by piece until it has no original parts.

I got fed up with poor quality foreign made plastic water changers.

uploadfromtaptalk1410710172045.jpg

Theres the valve I made from hardware store parts. Cost less than $20. Itll never break.

Yes theres brass. Theres also brass and copper in your home plumbing. The contact time is too short to leach metals. Pvc would work also for this project.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

apastuszak

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 4, 2010
Bensalem, PA
www.stamphack.com
I guess I should be more clear. I have the valve that hooks up to the sink. I'm missing the valve that connects to the top of the gravel cleaner. The item is still usable, since I just have the two pieces screwed together.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store