Good fish stories- I got one only an MFK'r would like!`

Racersk

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
Covington
So I'm in the garage where my 6 tanks reside, reading about LED lights on MFK as a matter of fact!

I have all my tanks covered- mostly. I have egg crate over all of it though to keep the critters in. Like my 50G column, which is my brakish tank with a 14" dragon goby a 2.5"GSP and a stripped archer fish @ 4-4.5"-the tank has been running for a couple years now.This is something my archer has done before, but it always catches me off guard...once I figured out the inside rain!

I felt a couple drops of water hit my shoulder, like a splash from an open tanks filter return. I look over to my right, where my brackish tank top is about eye level sitting in front of my laptop. I see him eyeballin me, but swims on-shyly hiding in his nest of plastic plants. I keep me eyes on him, but dont act like I am-just scoping him with my peripheral vision. Sure enough, he did it again! He's spittin on me cause he's hungry! Shooting water through the exposed egg crate arching the shot to hit me 3' away from the tank! Like a cat I had that would poise up on the refrigerator in the garage and thump you on the head as you walk but if you hadn't fed her yet, lol.

Of coarse I rewarded the action by feeding him!

20140914_121233.jpg

Any of your fish interact with you OUTSIDE you tank?

20140914_121233.jpg

Empyreal

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
Great story, very unique. It shows how intelligent some fish can be as the archerfish is associating you with food. And it knows that by squirting you it could prompt feeding. Very interesting, cool story

reptilerescued

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2014
nepa
Real cool, archers are on our list....

I have some questions on your GSP and archer.
How do they get along.
We have a GSP that is about 1 1/2 long. and he is BOSS'n the tank.

I posted over in the brackish forum but my only response has been crickets. Oh and the silence, it's so loud.

At 1 1/2 inches how long do I have before I need to move him over to brackish water?
I started breeding snails last week for him and he murders them. I put a large one in hoping it would lay eggs and give me a break from picking them out of one tank and putting them in another but he sucked the snail right out of the shell. Only way I can even breed the snails in in with the mollies I breed. Everything else eats them. I honestly don't know how anyone could have a snail problem.
Also when will I know when it is time to trim the teeth/beak?

You can see all my ???? over in the general brackish area.

BTW the only aquatic animal we have that interacts with us is a turtle that will only eat when hand fed. it's kinda a PITA.

So no, to answer your original question. We don't have any fish yet ( archers coming soon) that interact out side of the tank.

Rich

poppalina

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2010
Boston
I have had fish go up and hit the lids on the tank to get my attention to feed them, but never had one squirt water at me that is awesome.

Chub_by

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
Europe
When I clean my pond filter my sterlet will come along cause it has learned already that I throw lots of snails and other little critters in near the outlet in the process. It's only like 6" too!

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
That's pretty cool :) my mum told me ages ago that a juvenile Oscar I had at the time, used to chase its own tail and stuff when I wasn't there (perfectly healthy too)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Lol. My male Greenside darters will literally stick his head out of water when I walk into my Fishroom. I've handfed half out of water before :)

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
My elephant nose fish have a freaky sense of when I am outside the tank and come out of their hiding spots immediately and swim around excitedly. My cichlids (some of them) know me and interact with me, my eels will eat from my hands, as will my darters and mudminnows (also stick their noses out of the water) and I had a sunfish that would jump well out of the water to get food from my fingers.

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
My black aro enjoyed being petted and would regularly handfeed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store