480 gallon community tank

turkeyboy85

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2007
mn
What would you guys suggest. I have always had rays and I am getting out of them. I would like to convert to a nice community tank. With rays I was extremely limited on what type of other fish I could have so I am excited.

I like schooling fish so I am thinking of getting a bunch of neon tetras, a few red head geos, clown loach?

What else do you suggest?

The tanks is 8ftx4ftx2ft and it is being cycled with another 370 gallon as a sump.

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
Check out the link in my sig if you want some inspiration, I think you'll really enjoy the change (at least for a while), I certainly prefer my tank now than when it just had the arowana and a few cichlids. It's 240x120x70cm, so only slightly larger than yours, here's the current stock;
3 Geophagus altifrons, ~8-9"
4 L190 royal Panaque, ~9-10"
3-4 smaller misc plecs
8 Pterophyllum scalare
4 festivum
20 Corydoras sterbai
20 lemon tetras
and in quarrantine 6 L18 Gold Nuggets and 6 more tiny altifrons. I'm also planning on adding more tetras, possibly columbians or more lemons

I wouldn't suggest neons as they don't do so well at higher temps favoured by the loaches, but there are loads of mid-sized tetras and barbs that could work in that sort of set up, just make sure they're not nippers if you're going to keep Geophagus. I'd siggest you go for 6-10 of the Red Heads as they're one of the smaller species, they'll look great in a big group in a tank like that. With Geos and Clowns you'll want to look for something to bring some activity to the upper levels of the tank, angels or festivum (or both) are good for this and will fit with your peaceful theme. Alternately just go for a massive number of the schooling fish!

You'll also want to change up the aquascape from when you had rays as you won't need such a big open area. It's still good to have plenty of room at the lower level for the Geos to do their thing, but you can take up a heap more room in the mid-upper levels with tall twisty pieces of wood, which will make the mid-swimming fish feel a bit more comfortable.

spiff44

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2007
Midwest
you won't be disappointed! I highly recommend a nice sized school of tiger barbs.. I'm partial to the green ones. They never stop patrolling the tank as a school. Giant danios are super active too.

spiff44

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2007
Midwest
Oh, and instead of Neons, try torchlight tetra's. They are almost exactly the same except instead of blue they're copper. But maybe its just my tank but neons never seem to last very long.. like just a couple months. But I have had the same school of torchlights for around a year so far.... I just think they are way more hardy.

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
Posted this yesterday, might give you a little encouragement! Looks a bit sparse but I have six more young geos waiting in quarantine, and plan on adding another 50+ tetras when I decide which species to go for.

[yt]ATNo-SHaR3Q[/yt]

piranhaman00

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Wisconsin
I really like red tail sharks and balas. Red tails can be mean bastards though.

ChrisM101

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2014
Paris, AR,United States
Columbian Tetras (Red Blue) school well and grow to a decent size mine are not harassed at all by my cichlids that are 5 and 6 inches or more. Loaches are good in groups fo 4 or more as are pictus cats.
Neons and such stay too small.
Roseline sharks (dennisons Barb) are another that will school and grow fairly well with bigger fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store