Please help! "Death curl"

festaedan

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2013
Maryland
Hi guys
Today I picked up an 8 inch Henlei and is disk is starting to curl inwards! Please help, I don't want him to dieImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1410734037.560797.jpg

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

festaedan

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2013
Maryland
Ok, thanks
I'll test it right away
Will this probably end up killing him or should it go away after a day or 2?

vamptrev

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2007
Chesterfield MI
The pic isnt very good but he looks insanely skinny. Hes prob very weak.

You should have showed us a pic first so we could have warned you not to buy him

Is he eating?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

festaedan

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2013
Maryland
Oh, man, I havnt tried to feed him yet, I was planning on waiting until tomorrow just so he gets used to the tank first
I saw him at the lfs about a month ago and I asked them to hold him for me for a month just to make sure he was ok and as you know, he is still alive
The tank he was in at the lfs was extremely dirty though, it was litterally hard to see through so that might be an issue. But, his disc wasnt curling at the store
ammonia, and nitrite are at 0 and nitrate is at 5 ppm and ph is 6.8
Should i try to feed him now?

KNH

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2005
OH...IO
His tail is super thin and unless it's the pic, he looks like a hybrid not a hen. I can't believe people sell rays in such bad shape. Clean water and a dark tank is probably the best you can do. I'd try to offer earthworms.

festaedan

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2013
Maryland
You can try, but I doubt he will eat if stressed... what else is in the tank? Can you get a better pic? Is the whole disk curling? No lights is also a good idea
He is with a giant gourami and a reticulated stingray. Its only the back that is curling, the rest of his disk looks fine. I'll turn the lights off
His tail is super thin and unless it's the pic, he looks like a hybrid not a hen. I can't believe people sell rays in such bad shape. Clean water and a dark tank is probably the best you can do. I'd try to offer earthworms.
Yah, his tail is pretty thin but the picture makes it look skinnier than it is. I'll try to get a better picture with my camera, phone pics never come out good
I am pretty disapointed with how this store keeps their fish, the tanks are always very dirty. I thought I might be able to turn it around.

Mr. Allgood

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2012
Iowa
It looks like he hasn't eaten in quite some time. His tail is super skinny. It should have a nice fat/thick base near his body rather than look like a rat tail. Any guarantee from the LFS? What were they "feeding" him? I, personally, have delayed curl but never prevented it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store