Possible dumb water change question...

Dark Rose

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2013
United States
Ok so I've never really thought about this but...
I've noticed that during the summer my water changes seem to be somewhat neglected because my weekend when u have free time during the day are so busy. But during the week after work I have all kinds of time. I work late hours and my lights are all on timers because of that...

So the question is: is there any reason I can't do a water change with the tank "dark"? Other than the obvious of me not being able to see as well, and the fish being in their "sleep" state and not being as aware so I'd have to watch out for sucking up fish.
I just can't really think of any reason why I shouldn't... Am I missing anything?

Sent from my SM-N900V using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Dark Rose

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2013
United States
no different than you working an odd shift at work. some fish spook in the dark though.
That's the only thing really that had me wondering, if it would spook or stress the fish too much.

The main tank I'd be changing in the dark has a finer sand substrate so I have to be more gentle and controlled pouring the water in anyway.

Sent from my SM-N900V using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Vanica

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2014
Alberta, Canada
If your worried about sucking up fish just wrap a filter sock around your syphon. I do this in my small tank as some of my bichirs could fit through the hose.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store