Inexpensive tank setup progression

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I bought a old 130 gal tank a short time ago for $75, its a mirror back (which I'm not a fan of) but I have an old background I want to shave and use, so the mirror which will probably not be a problem.
Been growing out some Theraps lentginosus and Astatheros rostrum, and figure it will be a good tank to transfer them to. They are all now about 3"-4", and getting to large for the 55gals each species are in at the moment.
the Astatheros

the Theraps

But before set up, I needed a stand.
Went to the local lumber store where I bought, and had most of the boards cut to size, with screws, about $50.
Built the bottom and top first.

couple days later finished the verticals.

Moved in the tank from the porch yesterday, and as luck would have it, put a crack in the bottom during the move.

I'm a bit of junk collector, and found and been holding a large piece of glass a few months back, that just so happens, will cover the crack. I hope to silicone it in within the next few days, and will update as things progress.

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
Looks cool. Im always a fan of the inexpensive tank builds. I never have the discipline, I get weird ideas and go over budget.

Let us know how the tank repair goes. Im very curious Theres always alot of nay sayers on the internet who all claim to be strucural engineers or the like. Not sure id roll the dice with that one my self but I wont claim to forsee the future in your partular case. My old man has a few old tanks some with damage some with bulkhead holes which he repaired in a similar fashion. But we're talking 20 longs not 130g tanks

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Here's the crack.

Siliconed the piece of glass over almost the entire the bottom today with GE 1, put a thin bead on the crack, another halfway between the edge and sides, and another around the edge. Will let it set for a day or 2, before testing to see if it holds or not.

epond83

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2009
Duvall, WA
Good luck, BTW usually silicone says to wait7 days to water test when building a tank. I've glued a new brace in a 125 and water tested after 2 days and t popped (very scary). Then I re did it the same way but waited a week (a very long week staring at an empty tank) but it held that time!

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
I would've maybe spread or smeared it around to get even coverage to make the to panes more of a solid unit and support the glass more solidly. Does that make sense? I dunno if it makes any difference.

Ive got my fingers crossed for you.

On sunday I resealed an old 40b tank. I found a small chip inside the corner 2" from the top of the tank. It looks almost like the pane was chipped when they assembled it and laid the silicone. It's unlikely to be moving damage since it was inside the corner. Im in the same boat as you. But its my sump so itll only be half or 2/3 full. Fingers crossed lol

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Decided to test the seal today, using some cooling water from the drilling of a hole in the tank side for a bulkhead, by pumping water change water from another tank into the template, it cools the drill bit.
pic below just before drilling.

hole now drilled, took only a few moments with a hand drill, and diamond bit.

1.5" bulkhead screwed in

after the hole was done, I added another 30 gallons from the water change, so far no leaks.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Looks good, man. If I would have cracked it I would have gotten mad and busted it to smithereens. And then remembered I had that piece of glass I was saving.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store