Moving media

AdamW

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2013
Hartselle,Al
I have 53 liters (2 cubic feet) in a 200 gallon sump. I have a large bio load and wanted to go over rather than under on the K1. I got it on amazon for 89.00 plus shipping. t takes a lot of air to keep it moving at a good pace, but I think it is worth it. Make sure you have the right amount of water in the MB section. I think it is suppose to be 3 to 1( 53L of K1 to 159Lof water),that is how mine is setup and it does great. Hope this helped.

warhead

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2012
Arcadia, CA
I have 53 liters (2 cubic feet) in a 200 gallon sump. I have a large bio load and wanted to go over rather than under on the K1. I got it on amazon for 89.00 plus shipping. t takes a lot of air to keep it moving at a good pace, but I think it is worth it. Make sure you have the right amount of water in the MB section. I think it is suppose to be 3 to 1( 53L of K1 to 159Lof water),that is how mine is setup and it does great. Hope this helped.
Thank you sir! Kind of got the idea. Will look into it later. Transitioning from regular sump to a moving bed is tricky..

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Got that backwards. 3 media to 1 water. Of course you don't have to have the media that dense.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

warhead

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2012
Arcadia, CA
Got that backwards. 3 media to 1 water. Of course you don't have to have the media that dense.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
.... Hmmm so 180gallon sump, i need about ____ Liters of media? Im a little confused now..

And also, should this be enough filtration for a 720gal (8x4x3)? I wouldnt overcrowd it, maybe just 4-5 fishes.

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
And also, should this be enough filtration for a 720gal (8x4x3)? I wouldnt overcrowd it, maybe just 4-5 fishes.
It's the fish you are providing the filter for, not the size of the tank. There are calculations out there (UaruJoey has posted them more than once I believe) that let you work out how much K1 you need based on the size of your fish and the amount you feed.

If you don't want to go to that much trouble, at the very least you need to work out how much of the 180g sump you're going to devote to the moving media so you can work out how much to buy based on the 3:1 ratio mentioned before.

warhead

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2012
Arcadia, CA
It's the fish you are providing the filter for, not the size of the tank. There are calculations out there (UaruJoey has posted them more than once I believe) that let you work out how much K1 you need based on the size of your fish and the amount you feed.

If you don't want to go to that much trouble, at the very least you need to work out how much of the 180g sump you're going to devote to the moving media so you can work out how much to buy based on the 3:1 ratio mentioned before.
Oh okay. Yes ill definitely look into that. Reason why i was convinced to convert to moving media is because of uarujoey vids as well. Thanks for the tips bro!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store