Getting desperate - 14" Indo Datnoid on side at top of the tank

tbold

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2014
United States
He's had cloudy eyes since I've had him - thought they'd clear up in my tank since all my parameters are perfect, with ph at 7.8 (tap water). Suddenly it's been really hot the last few days and he's started swimming directly in front of the powerhead at the top of the tank and on his side. With all the stores closed on a Sunday night and no rock salt to help, anything I can do? Just did a 33% change with cold water to lower the temp in the tank.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

SickSauce

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2011
Mekong Delta
Add a aerator under the powerhead, add another powerhead. You can freeze water bottles and float it in the tank. Some photos and tank conditions would help

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
Hold him steady upright in front of the power head as long as you have to and let some oxygen circulate through his gills salt may not be a good idea since adding salt means you will need more aireation and there is no other signs of illness. Dang man this is bad to hear. And also maybe he could have banged himself up possibly and caused more damage? When it gets hot out where I live I add in ice cubes made with treated water or I add in a closed frozen bottle of water so the temp gradually goes down instead of an instant drop in temp. today it was 106 degrees here and that's what I've been doing. Only thing I can say is wait it out man and stick with it keep getting oxygen to his gills. Hot water holds less oxygen, I just picked up an extra aireator the other day for fear this same thing would happen.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
So how long have you had the dat and can you find out how long the eyes were cloudy before you got it?...At this point the cloudiness might not clear up.

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
Yes salt helps but only when you think it's a parasite or an injury like cuts or fungal issues etc, the way you've explained what was happening the dat was on its side and floating with foggy eyes... to me this kind of indicates lack of oxygen or ammonia issues etc, which can't be solved with salt, if you add salt you will need to add even extra aireation and and with the water and weather being so hot latelu the water won't hold oxygen as well because hot water dosent hold that much oxygen and a big fish like that requires lots, so if you add salt it may just add to your problem. Can you see his gill color? this will help determine if the issue is oxygen or ammonia related which I'm thinking it is, if it was parasitic or fungal the fish would have fell into sickness gradually and wouldn't be on his side in a matter of one day or so.it would have taken some time.

tbold

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2014
United States
Yes salt helps but only when you think it's a parasite or an injury like cuts or fungal issues etc, the way you've explained what was happening the dat was on its side and floating with foggy eyes... to me this kind of indicates lack of oxygen or ammonia issues etc, which can't be solved with salt, if you add salt you will need to add even extra aireation and and with the water and weather being so hot latelu the water won't hold oxygen as well because hot water dosent hold that much oxygen and a big fish like that requires lots, so if you add salt it may just add to your problem. Can you see his gill color? this will help determine if the issue is oxygen or ammonia related which I'm thinking it is, if it was parasitic or fungal the fish would have fell into sickness gradually and wouldn't be on his side in a matter of one day or so.it would have taken some time.

Thanks for the help dude. He was up and swimming around this morning so I think the heat is getting to him. I think the cloudy eyes and trouble swimming might actually be separate issues.

Added the frozen bottles of water to the tank and getting 2 more powerheads today. Once the powerheads are in, I'm going to try the salt to see if it helps his eyes. LFS said they had a cloudy eye outbreak with their P Bass tank and treated it rather easily by separating them out into a quarantine tank and adding rock salt.

Anyone have experience putting your powerheads at the BOTTOM of the tank too? Heard about this, but worried my sand substrate will go everywhere with a powerhead that close to the bottom. Have some bottom dwellers that could use it though.

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
I have some power heads on the bottom then again I run bare bottom. Hopefully more people will chime in

tbold

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2014
United States
Update on this guy - made it through the night and doing much better with some frozen battle bottles floating in the tank. Pick up 2 powerheads at the LFS on my lunch break - will check on him again when I get home.

On my lunch break he was swimming around slowly but still struggling a little to stay upright. But the rest of the fish were swimming around the entire height of the tank instead of just the top, so good sign there. I went ahead and added rock salt in a closed container so it will slow release into the tank, hoping that will relax everyone.

For his eyes I'm going to use Melafix and take all the carbon out of my filters so it doesn't suck up all the meds. I will keep everyone posted.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store