plywood tank question

jamesdecruz

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2009
uk
Hi all

Most if not all the plywood tank builds i have seen so far have been joined edge to edge,not being to confident about drilling lots of straight holes into 3/4 inch ply actually i couldn't hit a barn door with a wrecking ball wouldn't it be easier and stronger to use a 2x2 frame and glue/screw to that.

just a thought

jamesdecruz

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2009
uk
Ok maybe 3x2 , the tank will be 8'x2'x2' but it will only be about half full with a land area for my mud skipper/s a very basic paludarium

ChrisP75

Exodon
MFK Member
May 26, 2013
Sacramento
I have been thinking of adding the bracing to when I build my plywood tank, just to give me a little extra security along with drilling/gluing the boards together. I don't think you could do just the bracing without at least glue in between the boards to hold them together. I look forward to anymore answers because this is very interesting to me for my plans

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

mikeurbeck06

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2011
michigan, clio
I'm thinking for doing the same by using 5/8 thick oak 8x3x2 I want it wider because it will be for saltwater I just need the glass and liquid rubber

jamesdecruz

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2009
uk
Oh believe me Chris there will be more than enough glue on there, on a normal build there is 3/4" area to glue if i use bracing there will be at least 2 3/4"

muttley000

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2011
West Unity, OH
How are you sealing the tank? May make a difference. Glass and epoxy basically only needs the wood as a mold, especially if you are only filling part way I don't see the need. Do you keep the mudskippers now, always wanted to have some!

jamesdecruz

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2009
uk
No more nails for the glue 'n' screw and polyester resin and glass for the edges with resin to seal the rest,and yes i have one Periophthalmus barbarus but hope to get more

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store