Channel Catfish Growth

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
I've talked about getting a channel and growing it out before giving it to my friend with a pond in the past but since I'm getting a pond in the Spring I'm seriously considering getting one now. The pond I'm building is 8'x7'x4' and roughly 1,500 gallons. It's in a retaining wall outside my garage and it's under my small front porch to keep it shaded and cool in the summer. Getting to the point I'd like to get a Channel Catfish for the pond but I'm afraid to get a small one in the spring because I'm already growing out some of the other pond inhabitants including a trio of yellow bullheads that I'd fear would be big enough to eat a small channel cat by spring (they're 2" now). What kind of growth should I expect to see in a channel if I got it now by the beginning of next April? My house temp from now to then will be 72-68 so my native tanks will run 70-66 F. I'd feed it once a day. I'd probably start it in my 30L Chub Tank because I need a bottom feeder and I know the channel is going to create bioload but it wouldn't be as bad as all the uneaten food there is. After it hit 6-7" I'd put it in my 75 gallon until 12-13" and by then I think I'd have the pond ready. I'd buy the fish at about 2-3". So how fast will it grow roughly and how big should it be by around early April?

follen

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2008
england
Pretty quick 1"+ a month till about 14" I have 2 in my pond the albino grew so dam quick had him around 6 months went from a skinny 8" fish to about 18".

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Ok so what do you guys think my WC schedule would be like in a 30 long (36"x12"x16") with this stock?

4 Creek Chubs (currently 4-5")
1 Green Sunfish (currently 3")
1 Channel Catfish (would be in tank from 2" until 6")

I normally change 10 gallons either weekly or twice a week.

SuperDave

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2008
C.A
Sweet, hope everything works out.

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Ok so what do you guys think my WC schedule would be like in a 30 long (36"x12"x16") with this stock?

4 Creek Chubs (currently 4-5")
1 Green Sunfish (currently 3")
1 Channel Catfish (would be in tank from 2" until 6")

I normally change 10 gallons either weekly or twice a week.
At least once a week. When I had my last blue cat in a 20 long as a hospital tank, I changed her water every otehr night and after every feeding when she was at 9" or so.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I'd guess in warm, summery water, an average channel would get close to a foot in 6-7 months (from 2"-3"). In cool water, IDK. The relationship between the growth and temperature is not linear, not trivial. E.g., when the temp is decreased by a factor of X, the growth slows down by a significantly larger factor. I'd imagine an approx. exponential relationship, common in chemical and biochemical reactions.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
At least once a week. When I had my last blue cat in a 20 long as a hospital tank, I changed her water every otehr night and after every feeding when she was at 9" or so.
Once a week water changes would be a dream with all those fish :).

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Once a week water changes would be a dream with all those fish :).
Lol- I should have been a little more clear. When I said I changed her water, I meant ALL of it! ;)

I'd imagine that as your stock grows, you'll find it necessary to get ridiculous with the wc's too

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Lol- I should have been a little more clear. When I said I changed her water, I meant ALL of it! ;)

I'd imagine that as your stock grows, you'll find it necessary to get ridiculous with the wc's too

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Oh joy :)

Oxydoras

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2009
West Coast
Regardless of stock levels, all of my tanks receive a 75-90% WC every three days. I find that even in relatively heavily stocked systems, assuming there is adequate biological filtration, the nitrates never get a chance to get above ~20-30ppm. Add a large Pothos plant (or 10), and you're diamonds.

I understand that this is not always possible for everyone's schedule, but believe me, the fish will reward you with increased growth, color, and vigor.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store