Exos

kevbc03

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2008
Cleveland
Has anyone ever bred Exodon Paradoxus (aka Bucktooth Tetra) before?

Zeke

Banned
Jan 29, 2014
chattavegas
Not me. But... I had some really gravid females they were all back to their old skinny shape after 24-72 hours. The male population in the tank did some chasing of the females and sorta were nipping at them,especially around the belly between the pectoral and analysis fins. I never saw them lay eggs or any fry at all. I feel like if some did hatch ,that they would have had a better chance for survival in a kitchen blender. OMO ,the adults would have eaten the eggs and/or fry immediately. They are just ravenous creatures. I had about 18 of them for about 3 years in an 80 gallon breeder tank. 4'x2'x about 20" or so high. The tank also had a large sump. When I got them ,they were about 1.5-2" long. After 3 years or so they were plump and about 4.5" or so. I kept the tank at 77* f ,the hardness was about 6, ph of about 6.2-6.4 on avg. I kept a lot of Blackwater extract and Amazon conditioner in it as well as Trace Elements liquid. I used rain water for water changes in the months before they got so fat with eggs. The water temperature was lower on the rainwater when I pumped it into the tank with them (68-72). I did 15-20 % TWICE per week. The tank had tons of current . It turned over about 12 times per hour(filter only) and also had power heads in it as well. I feed the fish twice per day(more on weekends). They ate a variety ot meaty foods. Also fed them large fish about twice per week. They ate the scales and fins off only. I feel like they laid eggs,but they got eaten or never hatched. The tank had a lot of live plants and oak driftwood in it as well. In the end they beat up each other ,little by little , until there were only about 3-4 left. A power outage from a snowstorm finished them off. Maybe that helps.

kevbc03

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2008
Cleveland
Yes, thanks for the info. Although I have had exos before. I love them. One of my favorite fish to keep.

However they are expensive where I live, and, like some carnivorous fish do, resort to cannibalism. Which is why I want to breed them. A constant stock of these little guys would make me the happiest guy alive. Mine just never showed any signs of spawning/breeding what so ever.

I was just wondering if anyone on here had any luck breeding them. I NEED TO KNOW THE SECRETS! :nilly:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store