Resealing large tank

spadoc79

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2010
tallahassee, florida
I picked up a 240g this past weekend that the front corner had seperated on...Ive resealed big tanks before but this one is different than the rest...Its 5'Lx2'wx3'h..the glass is 3/4"...When i pulled the front panel off there are tiny spacers in the corners and the centers or where the glass' meet. Has anyone resealed a tank with these before? Is there a good technique for applying the silicon? I'm concerned that since I have 11 feet of silicon bead to lay down that by the time im done running the bead the first part of it will begin to skin over and will not stick to the glass properly. Thanks

fishguy306

Peacock Bass
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2005
Illinois
Are you planning to reseal just the one panel or the entire tank? I would highly recommend doing the entire tank, otherwise where your old and new silicone meets will not seal properly.

Onto your question, due to the weight of the glass sometimes spacers need to be used or it will force all of the silicone out of the seams. With a 5'x3' panel that has to be at least 3/4" thick? Maybe an inch? I imagine it probably weighs quite a bit regardless. The spacers should be put into place, then just run the silicone right over the top of them, being sure to get an adequate amount on either side of them.

If your current ones are no longer usable you can actually buy some zip ties and cut them into little pieces, they will be thick enough to get the job done, you just cant cut them too large or they will hang out with is obviously no good.

As for how to get it all done in time, just have everything ready to go right from the beginning. I believe the time to skin over should be about 5 minutes. You'll have to work quick but should have some time. I hope you have someone giving you a hand with this one? Positioning that glass correctly will be very tough if not impossible on your own.

spadoc79

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2010
tallahassee, florida
Thanks for the input..yes rebuilding the entire tank..dont wanna take any chances...I will have help...great idea to use zip ties..Thanks again..Ill post progress as it happens.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store