I have no idea how to set up a sump. "Megaflow Sump Filtration Model 2" Please help!

Sunburnt

Feeder Fish
Mar 4, 2011
Hendersonville TN
So I will start off with I snagged this amazing deal off craigslist!
This older sweet couple sold their sons old setups.

I however have no experience with sumps, and as they had no idea,
I am somewhat stuck about this. I have googled, but do not feel informed enough to attempt!

Here is the sump I have , a "Megaflow sump filtration Model 2"
It has the bio balls in the chamber, and the filter material in the others,
it also has the large pump for a 75 gallon at the very last chamber with the "return" for water attached?

I have found several tubes, two containers that look like the ones they use at pet stores to house fish
I assume these will be the over flow?

Also a UV sterilizer JBJ 7 watt and a few more things I have no idea what to do with or where they go.

I have a LOT of experience with fresh water,
so I hate this feeling of being helpless and stupid lol.

If needed I can take pictures of everything I was given, and would greatly, GREATLY appreciate a walk through!

Sunburnt

Feeder Fish
Mar 4, 2011
Hendersonville TN
I also have not decided if I wanted to do salt yet, I forgot to mention that!
It all really depends on this sump I suppose!

I wanted to setup the tank as close to how it was previously,
run it with some RO water for a day or so, see how the noise is, see how it functions and how comfortable I am with it ect.

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
A picture is worth a thousand words....

Not sure why you'd test run it with RO water instead of just regular tap water. And you'd better decide if you're going salt or fresh, as that will have a big effect on how you set the sump up.

h0ckeyfreek20

Candiru
MFK Member
May 22, 2012
NJ
A picture is worth a thousand words....

Not sure why you'd test run it with RO water instead of just regular tap water. And you'd better decide if you're going salt or fresh, as that will have a big effect on how you set the sump up.
x2

Also, it is not possible to have a 'LOT' of experience with fish with no sump experience ;)

johnnytaboo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 4, 2005
MD, DC, VA
I have a megaflow model 3 (or 4... not sure), and I love it. I can post up some pics of how it's set up, but you can also look at the google images to kind if get the gist. You should have 2 tubes that drain into that first chamber. Once the water overflows that chamber, it should flow over that drip tray onto the bio balls. Through the bottom of that it will move to the little block of foam that is the final mechanical filtration before the water reaches the pump chamber.

The megaflow was also MY first sump, but I love the design and was looking for it again when I decided to add a sump to my 180. It's a shame they don't make them anymore.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store