Anyone ever use steel studs vs wood to build a stand?

12mustangdude

Feeder Fish
Sep 9, 2014
dfw tx
So I've settled on a 100" long aquarium x 30" high x 12"w. Made out of plywood. Based on my figuring just the weight of the tank + water would be around 3000lbs ( feel free to correct me if i'm wrong).

Anyways while looking for a how to guide for wood I remembered doing my outdoor kitchen in steel studs covered in hardibacker. Its a whole lot easier and way stronger so was just curious if anyone has done it. I'm going to try to make the stand next week but how many opening/ drawers etc would I need for a saltwater setup not sure how to calculate. I'll be doing the stand 4 feet high as well. 24" high shelf down the middle more than likely as well.

johnny potatoes

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2010
Dewey
I would think you could use steel studs. I would use a minimum of 16 gauge steel and make sure you put in a box header on the side that has openings. Screws every three inches on the box header and sheet the thing with plywood.

Sent from my SM-G900P using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

PhysicsDude

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2011
Dallas, TX
Interesting proposition.

Contrary to popular belief, most steel studs ARE NOT stronger than wood ones. Most steel studs are intended for commercial purposes, where walls are not load bearing.

Make sure to get the thicker 16 gauge+ studs like johnny potatoes recommends. I'm not even really sure how available those are at places like home depot or lowes.

It would be lighter, warp proof, and easier to build, so it could turn out really well. But they are considerably more expensive, and kind of an uncharted territory as far as strength goes. I have no idea how far of a span you could/should make with metal studs compared to a 2X4 or 2X6. It would make me nervous to use them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store