How deep to go when you reseal a tank

dent20

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2008
Iowa
For those with experience stripping and resealing large aquariums, how far do you recommend going when it comes to stripping out the old seal? Do you make sure you get everything out of the crevices, for example? I've done smaller tanks without much trouble, but I have to reseal a 175 bowfront oceanic that I bought used. Guy I bought it from had resealed it and it leaked on me within a few days, so I want to make sure I get it done right.

PDRed302

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2011
Fort Worth Texas
When I fixed the leak I had in my large tank I stripped every bit of visible silicone away from both the leaking area and all areas within 4' of it, leaving only what was in between the panes of glass. I wiped the areas down with nail polish remover then cleaned that up with white vinegar and water. After making sure it was dry I then laid down my tape and silicone; haven't had a problem since.

dent20

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2008
Iowa
Thanks. That's what I wondered about, how much to dig out between the glass. I've done it before successfully, but if this thing busts I'm looking at a basement full of water.

blindkiller85

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2013
Orlando, FL
Typically I don't hear about people stripping out between the glass where they meet. Just the silicone within the entire corner as if there was no space between the glass. Then redo the silicone from there. Did my 125 and a 120. 125 has been up for 5 years in november without a problem.

120 sadly hasn't been up yet as I don't have the time to finish the stand and canopy.

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
Here ya go I made a picture a while back for people resealing tanks.

I've resealed many tanks in my life and if you reseal it this way you'll easily get another 15 years easily.

tcfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2008
Florida
Danielcho is right on about the cuts, use a single side razor blade and a bunch of them, always a fresh sharp blade, they dull quickly. Keep them angled and you should not cut into the seam. Bad news is you should reseal before you have a leak .Reseal is about getting old caulk off before it gives way and compromises the caulk between the glass seams. Look at the seam where the leak is you should be able to see were the glass split by pressing down a little on the bottom pane[ after you cut out old caulk], if it is a little like a slow drip, reseal. If it is a 2 inch or bigger split reseal and sell;)Kidding kind of .I built many glass tanks and mostly acrylic tanks for a living .Resealed a lot of glass tanks. Do not do a patch, reseal the whole tank bottom and sides ,new silicone does not weld good into old silicone. Where I have had splits in the seams I had to take the whole tank apart and redo.I have busted out the tempered glass bottom and tempered glass sides on 2 of my own tanks to be able to drill and put an inside overflow box in them I have done this for other people also, reseal or rebuild ,hopefully all you need is a reseal any problems I am willing to help

AquaticAustin

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
I'm not sure how bowed the tank is at that size but I would imagine if any section has too great of a curvature it would be difficult to use a straight razer?

But I resealed my 110 tall tank the same as everyone said: remove ALL interior silicone but leave the silicone in between the panes. Once you remove all of the silicone rub it down with alcohol well to remove residue. Additionally with a tank of that size it might be beneficial to have a second person going behind you to smooth out the silicone. Made my life alot easier

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store