Breeding in Big Tanks

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
when jags and trimacs breed, or midas, people have to put a divider to keep them from killing each other. But it seems everybody is breeding these fish in a 75, or a 125. If a pair of these fish were in a big 400 gallon tank, with lots of room and few tankmates, would they still act like that after the spawn? Killing tankmates and each other? Or do Amph's and Parachromis do that no matter how big the tank is?

MarineMike

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2014
Southern California
My jag pair is in a 180g by themselves now. I used to have a few catfish and others in that tank with them. They didn't kill the other fish but would chase and harass them especially when guarding eggs or fry. I felt sorry for the other fish and moved them to another tank. The male can be a bit of an *** when he's wanting to spawn and she's not ready, but most of the time she bosses him around. In a longer tank, 8 or 10 foot I think it's possible to have other fish in with them.

Ponddigger

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2010
Shreveport, La
I have an 8' indoor pond with a medium sized pair of jags that have bred twice and they are fine with the other fish in the pond. The only problems come when they decide to move their brood around into the territory of the other fish.

JasonsPlecosCichlids

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2010
Kentucky
jasonsplecoscichlids.com
I have 5 breeding pairs of fish in my 500, Ive had two pairs breed at once, had no issues. They will chase off others but they haven't killed anyone. The two that bred at same time with fry are Zonatus and Fenestratus and Red Devil and Barred Midas. I thought my pair of RTM and Oscar were going to do it as well but they never laid eggs that I was aware off. Also have a pair of Red Isleta's, they dig and dig, she gets fat, tube drops but haven't seen anything yet either.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store