Help with design of pond and filter

batang_mcdo

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2006
Manila
Planning to build a pond 12x8x4-5 feet deep, id like the pond to be 3 feet underground and 2 feet elevated. Anybody has a good filter design together with the needed drains? As of now i totally have no idea. Also planning to have maybe a 4x2 feet viewing glass wpuld really appreciate advise and also link .

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Tythefishguy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 21, 2014
Texas
What I did is build the upper layer for the above ground out of wood and drilled a hole on the side and added silicone to the bulk heads I had from my pool and ran it to an old whiskey barrel and I turned it into a waterfall. It's been running fine ever since and stays clean for the most part!

jandj88

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2012
North Dakota
Mine is 2`above wood construction and then terraced from 5`to 3`. I have two sand gravel filters 1- 55 gal drum 1-30 and a living filter or bog filter with live plants. this works well for me. I could use more filtration but my koi grew from 3-4" to 12" and over in a year and thats growing throught the winter in the pond which freezes over except for my heater to allow gas transfer. I would a bottom drain but have not worked it in yet.

batang_mcdo

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2006
Manila
Thanks for the tips

I've been wanting a pond for many many years :)

I'm planning to start a building a pond maybe in a month's time.

Would appreciate tips and advise. the pond I'm planning would be 12 feet x 8 feet by 4 feet

planning to have it 2 feet below ground and 2 feet above ground.

then a 4 or 6x2 feet viewing panel in one of the 8 feet side of the pond.

one of my problem is i want to have the pond in a corner, so 2 sides of the pond will be against 2 walls?

here's the location where I'm planning to put the pond

Would it be possible to have this filter layout for my pond?

the filter is on one of the 8 feet side , would like it to be 8x2 , and itll be against the wall. will it be possible to build it against the wall and have drain pipes?

Also can i have tips on my pond layout? also tips on properly securing the glass.

will it be better to have a 4x2 glass panel only? or can i make it 6x2 . planning to use a 1/2 inch tempered glass.

but the glass part will only be submered upto 3.5 feet , itll be above ground.

Also I'd like a vortex chamber as part of the filter. Can i have it as part of the 8x2 feet part of my filter?

how many chambers would be the recommended?

I've also saved some pictures of designs , but still unable to picture how the filter and pipings should be setup.

I'm leaning towards having my pond with a layoutlike this, problem is the filter chambers will be against a wall

[URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/batang_mcdo/media/C0846975-0A0E-416B-9598-594CDD7D7058_zpsokwd7xf9.jpg.html]

or will a layout like this be better? the filter chamber won't be against a wall? bit itll leave a smaller space for my fish.

or another thought that came to my mind is to have a filter chamber 8 x 2 feet along the side of the pond?

Also planning to have 2 4 Inch buttom drains how big should the pipes in the filter chambers be? Can i have a vortex within the 8x2 filter chamber?

Also planning to use thoroseal for waterproofing, should i appky paint after thenthoroseal application?

thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

batang_mcdo

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2006
Manila
Hi,

Here's an update of filter design , any comments and suggestions?

and this will be the main pond layout :) Minus the vortex chamber.

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
What do you plan on keeping in this pond? Vortex require low flow and mainly for large debri like leaf. Have you considered bead type filters since space seem to be a limiting factor?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store