Females fighting

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
I know rays fight but to what extent

My 2 big females have lived in the same tank for over 8 years but lately they have been going crazy with each other at food time

If it was male and female you would think they was breeding
It starts with the normal flick of the tail trying to stab each other but turns into a full on breeding position belly to belly holding each other's disk in mid water thrashing about

Then after food is dropped in they rush the smaller rays off the food not actually wanting the food but moving others on to see what they are chewing on

Just wondered if others see the same from 2 females

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
No one has this problem then

The 2 females must be bored of each other's company then

keepinfish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2007
In God We Trust
i find it pretty interesting, that they are exhibiting breeding behavior being both females, but i have never seen it happen.

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
Think I will need to take a video to show

It's hard but if you didn't know they was both female you would think they was breeding with 2 big females going at it like that I get water all over the place

Both rays are p14

sam buckle

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2008
cornwall
My female that is pregnant has always been aggressive to other females. She has chewed her sisters tail down to the stinger and also beat up my female hybrid when i tried to introduce her into the main tank. yet she has never bothered my male hystrix who made her pregnant or my old leopoldi male. Not the same level as yours by the sound of it but still annoyingly aggressive.

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
My female that is pregnant has always been aggressive to other females. She has chewed her sisters tail down to the stinger and also beat up my female hybrid when i tried to introduce her into the main tank. yet she has never bothered my male hystrix who made her pregnant or my old leopoldi male. Not the same level as yours by the sound of it but still annoyingly aggressive.
I would say yours is a bit worse as I never get any damage they just hold eat others disk in mid water like breeding and splash like mad

vamptrev

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2007
Chesterfield MI
My females fight alot but never causes any damage. Its kinda fun to watch.

I just had to separate 2 females because the one got stressed and stopped eating

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
The bigger female of the 2 does get stressed every now and then she never stops feeding totally but it never lasts long 1 week max

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store