Moving Inquiry

GyradosOwner

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2014
Columbus, OH
hello, and I have a rather urgent inquiry. I currently have 5 tanks at my house-
1) a rather small tank filled with an albino channel cat.
2) a similarly small tank with 5 African chiclids.
3) a 33L tank filled with 5 glowfish.
4) a 75L tank filled with 6 albino corys, 4 Hong Kong Butterfly plecos and two black mollys.
5) a tank over 150gal filled with a big ass RTC.

Let's get started, a few things first:
1) Don't lecture me about RTC or tank sizes too small, thanks. I"m transitioning and fixing a lot. Hence the move.
2) I live in China, so everything is a mess always.
3) I can't have many of the fish together or they will eat/kill each other.
4) HK Butterfly plecos are INCREDIBLY SENSITIVE to air flow.

My question is... How do I move these tanks? How do you separate, etc? I have a local fish salesman I want to ask, but didn't know if you guys have any advice. Please let me know. Thanks!

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Get plenty of plastic bins for transport and temporary holding until the tanks are relocated and up and running.Airpumps or bubblers would be a big help.
I have never heard of the butterfly pleco you mentioned but it sounds like you will have to capture it and place it in its container while it is submerged...can you post a photo of it?

reptilerescued

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2014
nepa
Any fish that is sensitive to air should be container caught NOT net caught to keep the exposure to air down.
then transported to the tub.
Lots of air stones running in all the containers. use your tank water for the moving containers.
keep all filters, plants decorations, substrate, in tank water and wet at all times.
This will help with the BB and speed up the cycle process once you setup again.
Don't be afraid to use a kick start agent like quick start as a booster when re setting the tanks. Your BB is going to take a major hit during the move.

The RTC can walk to his new home since these things are pretty much indestructible, it may even flex his fins 1/2 way there in a wrestling pose. LOL

I moved my 160 gallon tank around myself once it was off of the stand. I used PVC pipe 2 inch sched. 80 3 pieces as rollers. ( give me a fulcrum I'll move the world) my 16 YO son helped me get one end back on the stand and I used the roller pipe again to get it in position.
My tank is just over 400 lbs empty. ALWAYS keep the tank off the ground enough to get your fingers under it. and keep something under it when your fingers are there incase you need to set it down. You don't want to lose a finger fron the tank because you had no room to get them out from under it.
To get it off of the stand took 4 people, since the original stand was 32 inches high. it's now only 12 inches off of the ground.
Two people can move it around with the pipe. one to pick up a end the other to get the 1st piece of pipe under it and to rotate the piece that is going to come out the back and place it back up front.
then the two again to get it back on the stand with one piece of pipe under it.

I'm sure I'm missing a ton of info for you, sorry.
We just moved all our tanks last fall and remodeled. we are now setting the last of the tanks up.
the 160 is a little more then 1/2 through the cycle with nitrites reading high.

We started fresh and went from 20 years of Oscars and Chicla to ancient fish and brackish. Only thing we kept animal wise was the turtles and snake.
Everything else was "gifted" out for free.

Rich

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Also stop feeding your fish a couple days before the move. That way they will make less waste during the move.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
Ahh, Hillstream loaches are cool, I've learned they are often called Hong Kong butterfly pleco as a common name.

GyradosOwner

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2014
Columbus, OH
update...woke up at 8, enjoyed breakfast. that may be only enjoyment for a while. spent hours spitting out siphoned water, making my house look in worse condition than the typhoon that happened just a day before. rtc was a monster to tank, and i will never speak of the atrocities i had driven my plecos to in order to get them to release their suction. the movers were baffled as to how to transport tanks and only a small 11gal was destroyed in the move. One chiclid died and all systems reset well. still yet to come back and check on everything, but i remain optomistic.

reptilerescued

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2014
nepa
Glad the move is going smooth.
It's always stress on both parties. pets and people when you move.

Rich

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store