Tank mates

Kennerdell

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2014
Florida
I have a 110 gallon tank with 1 tiger oscar and 1 pleco with a marineland 350 canister filter system. i was wondering what fish would go along with the oscar? i went by my local fish store and they had a couple fish that caught my eye. 1) a "green scat" they said its a brackish water fish but can live in freshwater and clean up feces. 2) a "Green Terror" it looked really pretty and they said its semi agressive and can go with a tiger oscar. and 3) a "Jack dempsey" ive seen these fish before and love them. so which would be the best for the oscar or any other suggestions?

zenyoungkoh

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2010
so cal and singapore
I'd go with a GT personally, because they look awesome and from my experience are less aggressive than a JD. Also green scat will not do well in a freshwater tank and it will not clean up feces, it will contribute to it.

Kennerdell

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2014
Florida
i like the GT looks alot but didnt know how agressive they are. 1 green terror or more? and how big should they be before i put them in with the oscar?

SePPii

Dovii
MFK Member
May 21, 2011
Chesapeake, OH
Just have to be careful with size with the GT, they are really slow growing fish and could become a meal if your oscar is already big or if it outgrows it

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Kennerdell

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2014
Florida
i also looked at a Geophagus labiatus. how are they?

cichlidfish

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2005
I'd go with a GT personally, because they look awesome and from my experience are less aggressive than a JD. Also green scat will not do well in a freshwater tank and it will not clean up feces, it will contribute to it.
This^^

Maybe look at silver dollars for a small school.

Kennerdell

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2014
Florida
another thing is the oscar is 7-8". i need something that can stand up to him and i can only find jack dempseys that are 6" compared to 3" green terror

Mythic Figment

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2012
Florida
I have a 110 gallon tank with 1 tiger oscar and 1 pleco with a marineland 350 canister filter system. i was wondering what fish would go along with the oscar? i went by my local fish store and they had a couple fish that caught my eye. 1) a "green scat" they said its a brackish water fish but can live in freshwater and clean up feces. 2) a "Green Terror" it looked really pretty and they said its semi agressive and can go with a tiger oscar. and 3) a "Jack dempsey" ive seen these fish before and love them. so which would be the best for the oscar or any other suggestions?
Green scats don't do well in freshwater when mature. They really need brackish water to thrive. Also, no fish in the world will clean up feces. If someone tells you a fish eats feces, you should stop considering any advice they have given or will ever give you. LOL There are some sifting cichlids (such as geos) that will mulch up the feces into small particles that a filter will pick up, but they don't consume any feces. My old geo tank was the cleanest looking tank I ever owned. The geos would grind up all the poop on the bottom and the filters took care of the rest. From a maintenance standpoint it was the easiest tank I had. A water change and a little filter TLC. No hunting down strands of poop behind and around decor.

The rivulatus and JD would both make great tankmates, but as mentioned above, you would need to obtain them at within 1-2" of the oscars's current size or there is a risk of the oscar overwhelming and killing/eating the newcomer.

Gymnogeophagus labiatus would probably be okay, but because they only reach 5-6" at most, you would need to buy adults. There is a risk of the eventually much larger oscar turning aggressive towards them, but IME, oscars are usually calm babies who won't harm anything unless it's threatening them.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Gymnogeophagus labiatus are not tropical, they are sub tropical fish from Uruguay that need a bit of a cool down, for a few months per year, which the Oscar would not appreciate.
And I agree scats would not be a good choice, because the older and larger they get, the more brackish they need their water to be.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store