Brace yourself, winter is coming

Tythefishguy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 21, 2014
Texas
So it is starting to hit the 60s down here in Texas and I need to start getting ready for the winter for my 1200G pond. Instead of spending $500+ on inline heaters and bookoos of money on electricity, Im debating on trying to make a boiler or just buying a bunch of de-icers. So I want to know what do you use and how well has it maintained in your area?

pond.jpg

sevank21

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2012
In My House
All depends on what youre keeping bro, I got kois and slider turtles, I let them ride out the winter no heater no nothing, just turn off the pumps.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

piranhaman00

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Wisconsin
What is in the pond?

Tythefishguy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 21, 2014
Texas
doesn't stay that cold in texas for long does it? id just build a little greenhouse
It can freeze over in December, I keep tropicals, gar, clown knife, rtc and aros. I've already talked to some local shops and they say pull them in but I want to leave them out because I have no room anymore.

Tythefishguy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 21, 2014
Texas
All depends on what youre keeping bro, I got kois and slider turtles, I let them ride out the winter no heater no nothing, just turn off the pumps.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Yeah I don't have koi I have gars, rtc, aros and clown knife.

Chub_by

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
Europe
De-icers won't work. They do keep ice away, but have no influence on the actual temperature. Get a good cover and a heater.

piranhaman00

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Wisconsin
If the temp is already in the 60s I would take some action pretty soon.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store