Cross River Puffer

Nixon1922

Feeder Fish
Sep 16, 2014
Sweden
Hi, I'm new to MFK and this is my first post, hope to get some help with a couple of questions.

I live in Sweden and are interested in buying a Cross River Puffer (T. Pustulatus) later on, but I realize from reading some older posts that they are quite hard to find, and if you think you found one it might actually be a young Fahaka.

So, what are your best advise for me regarding my search for one?
Is there any trusted importers that from time to time have them in stock or anywhere online?
How do you tell whether it is a young Fahaka or a true CRP and how much do they cost today?

Thanks alot!

Richard

bottles

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2007
canada
When buying a young Cross River Puffer, it's a gamble. To be 100% sure that it's a true Cross River, it would have to be around 5"+. Young Fahakas often have red spotting. The red spotting on a Fahaka will start to form lines that will darken, then the spotting will usually fade away with time. This will be pretty obvious by the time the Fahaka is 5"; the spots may be present, but the lines will be dark. The spotting on a Cross River will remain a nice red color, and some small lines may develop, but the lines will be a nice red as well.
If you want to take a gamble on a 1-2" fish it will probably cost $125-$200. A Cross River at 5" will could cost anywhere from $300+ Canadian. They are rare and the prices fluctuate quite a bit.

This is a thread for my old Fahaka; originally purchased as a Cross River at about 1". http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?550289-Fatso-Crushing-Clams

Good luck with your search.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
^ Agreed with bottles, good luck finding one as they are possible one of the most elusive of all FW puffers to come... i have been hunting for one myself for many years and never see one in person...

Online i've seen people claiming to have one for sale, but most of them time they also want around $800-$1000 for one which is far to steep for my standards...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store