nitrite issues

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
hello,
So....I am at a loss, I'm throwing myself on the mercy of MFK and the experts within....I have a 55L tank that contains one 6" yellow bullhead catfish, 4 small local crayfish and several floating pond plants. I was nearing the end of the tank cycle so me being cocky decided to add all of the mentioned bioload at one time...needless to say the tank crashed. With the help of Tetra SafeStart and Stability, I managed to get my ammonia levels back to 0.0 ppm.

My problem now....is my nitrites are hovering somewhere between 2.0 ppm and 3.0 ppm. they WILL NOT come down no matter what I try.

Water changes, more Stability, plants, nothing is bringing them down.

I need any advice you guys can offer as to what I can do to stabilize this tank completely again.

It's only the nitrites that are out of control, everything else is within manageable levels.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
Thats what I figured the best solution was...I just didn't know if there was something else out there I hadn't heard of yet to knock the nitrites down. I mean safe start and stability work flawlessly to knock the ammonia out of the tank (3 days it went from 5 ppm to 0.0) but nitrites are a different story.
THanks for the advice!

reptilerescued

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2014
nepa
Kordon Amquel plus or salt to prevent brown blood disease.
See the link on "salt and it's uses" in the fresh water disease section for the amount of salt.
and read the page on kordon's site about the amquel.

it will stable out you just have to wait for the tank to cycle again.
Rich

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
Don't mess with additives and chemicals. Just let nature take it's course. Some things can't be hurried.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
i figured I would let the tank do its thing, I just wasn't sure how to handle no ammonia but a whoooole bunch of nitrite, thanks everyone!

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
Natural is the best. Just cut back on feedings and do some water changes to move things along.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
i figured I would let the tank do its thing, I just wasn't sure how to handle no ammonia but a whoooole bunch of nitrite, thanks everyone!
The only reason you have no ammonia is that you crated this imbalance by the additives you used...
I'd do a water change, minimize feeding, and sit it out.

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
The only reason you have no ammonia is that you crated this imbalance by the additives you used...
I'd do a water change, minimize feeding, and sit it out.

+1 isnt stability known to give false readings? You dont "knock out" ammonia in a matter of days. And nitrite being out of whack is just because you dont have the bb to sustain the whole cycle or your nitrates would be high.

Ok ill say it. 6" messy catfish and 14.5g of water is going to lead to bad water quality unless you are feeding very lightly (borderline starving the fish) or doing wc constantly

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
+1 isnt stability known to give false readings? You dont "knock out" ammonia in a matter of days. And nitrite being out of whack is just because you dont have the bb to sustain the whole cycle or your nitrates would be high.

Ok ill say it. 6" messy catfish and 14.5g of water is going to lead to bad water quality unless you are feeding very lightly (borderline starving the fish) or doing wc constantly
Stability definitely is not giving a false reading on this, the ammonia is gone lol, this is...a week after starting treatment and its gone. 3 different test kits and even crappy strip tests that always give super high readings say there is nothing in the tank.

I do 50-75% water changes twice a week, if not 3 times so believe me besides the nitrites going out of control for a couple days the water quality is good.
UPDATE: Nitrites are dropping now, steadily. down to around 1.0 ppm. I added some live plants as well so that may be having an effect.

Thanks all for the input!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store