Pterophyllum Scalare Red Back

decoy50

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2012
VA
Really good looking fish! Are they wild caughts or captive breds? For some reason, we don't see alot of quality red backs in the US.

GT3000

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 22, 2011
Israel
Really good looking fish! Are they wild caughts or captive breds? For some reason, we don't see alot of quality red backs in the US.
Hi, Thanks.
They are captive bread, and for some reason... they are for sale here in Israel in the lfs in only 10-15 $ :headbang2

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
^ Lucky you. Only one person is selling tank-raised Manacapuru here and they are $80+ each for medium sized fish. No thanks. I'll play with other wild-types until someone gets realistic about those prices.

decoy50

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2012
VA
@ Ryan - I know the dealer you're speaking of & I think he is overpriced on alot of his fish, but $80 for manacapuru is crazy. $100 on CB altums is also ridiculous. Funny thing is, he sells F1 St Isabels for $30 each which is a pretty fair price IMO. I've seen WC St Isabels sell for much more than Altum prices...

Unattended Fish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2010
near but far
Those are some gorgeous angels! I'm a noob at angels and was wondering if these guys are as sensitive as altums? Thinking if they would get along with my geo proximus and geo dicrozosters? That's if I ever find them :p

decoy50

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2012
VA
Altums are in a league of their own as far as sensitivity goes. I've found all other wild angels to be very tolerant to pH & hardness. My water is pH 7.6 with medium hardness - I've kept wilds from Brazil & Peru w/o difficulty. The problem you're going to run into is finding manacapuru red backs of that quality. You might luck into some during wild season - I've seen Discus Origins(a vendor on this site) carry some nice ones. I've seen some F1s offered online & they were very expensive & looked really bland and washed out. Ryan & I spoke of that issue in this thread.

Unattended Fish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2010
near but far
Yeah been keeping up on this thread. But, I'm just wondering what is a reasonable price a piece? Because somebody I know was selling a bunch (don't know if was f0 or f1) but I think they were asking around $60 or so ea. btw thanks for the info!

crash83

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2006
Houston,Tx
Wow very nice!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store