Jack dempseys?

PanAntV

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2014
North Carolina
I have 2 jack dempseys in 1, 55 gal tank. The larger jack is roughly 4 inches the smaller jack is about 2.5-3 inches. When I first got the pair they were only about a .5 inch(or less) difference. I suspect the pair to be both male due to the fact the larger jack chases the smaller one around alot. I never see any signs of aggression beyond that. Also my jacks don't eat hikari pellets but everything else(flakes, brine, bloods, shrimp pels, live fish, new spectrum pels). I'm considering getting rid of my smaller jack due to the fact that I feel like the reason he's staying so small is because he isn't getting enough to eat and would hate for him to eventually die at the hands of the larger jack. Any ideas why he's growing so slow? Any ideas why they won't eat hikari pellets?

cambrew

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2013
Australia
Most likely the larger one is more dominant. If they are both males then you would have a very small chance of being able to keep them both in the 55 long term anyway so if I were you I would just keep the larger one. Most 20-30 cm Central Americans could easily own a 55 to them selves anyway.

Cichlidss

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 22, 2014
Western Cape, South Africa
I had the same problem as you! Had two suspected male jacks... 1 was definitely male and the other 2 pale to tell.
The larger more dominant jack would chase him at 1st sight.. He wouldn't be bothered about the other fish!
As he grew it only got worse... Eventually had to re home the other jack.
So my advice would be to re home 1 of the jacks and kill this problem early..
Even if they were a pair the tank would be to small for them to breed successfully in the long run...Female(If a pair) will not be able to escape the males aggression..
So maybe look at a few dithers to keep with your solo jack :)

Belly up

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2008
Wolverine, MI
You have the option of adding MORE Jack Dempsies too. I knew a guy who had about a dozen Dempsies in a thirty gallon. The largest was about 6" and they stair stepped down to 1.5". The dominant fish couldn`t single one out to pound on so no one was damaged beyond an occasional torn tail. He also kept all the others in line so they did`nt get to rough with each other. It was kind of like what Mbuna keepers do, spread out the mean-ness.

welsher7

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2006
Fort Wayne, IN
I would rehome the smaller JD. Depending on what else you have in the tank you could add small-medium sized SA/CA like a firemouth, convict, sajica, HRP...... All of these should be able to share a 55G with JD. Then you could a group of large bodied tetras like columbians or congos for dithers

Also NLS and Hikari are both quality foods, so your fish eating one or the other is fine.

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
(Quoted wrong post and dont know how to fix oh well. In reference to 12 jds In a 30g)

So by that math the OP should add what maybe 18 more to his 55g? Do you seriously think for one minute 12 cichlids in a 30g is a good idea? Smh

Cichlidss

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 22, 2014
Western Cape, South Africa
(Quoted wrong post and dont know how to fix oh well. In reference to 12 jds In a 30g)

So by that math the OP should add what maybe 18 more to his 55g? Do you seriously think for one minute 12 cichlids in a 30g is a good idea? Smh
+1

Jacks are large cichlids... a 55 will barely house 1 long term..nvm the amount of filtration you would need to house all those jacks!!
You will get away with it short term but my advice would be to house 1 single specimen in beautiful condition otherwise you will be setting up yourself for disaster!

cambrew

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2013
Australia
You have the option of adding MORE Jack Dempsies too. I knew a guy who had about a dozen Dempsies in a thirty gallon. The largest was about 6" and they stair stepped down to 1.5". The dominant fish couldn`t single one out to pound on so no one was damaged beyond an occasional torn tail. He also kept all the others in line so they did`nt get to rough with each other. It was kind of like what Mbuna keepers do, spread out the mean-ness.
I suppose it really depends on the type of person you are and also the type of fish keeper you are. A humane person who wants to have a pristine quality tank and live stock would only have 1 jack in the 55 gallon and you may even find that if you look after it and do enough water changes, letting it grow to its full potential could even see it outgrow a 55 gallon as a 10"-11" male isn't unheard of. On the other hand you could just overstock your tank like an African set up and have a heap of stunted fish.

Darth Nandopsis

Exodon
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2012
Coruscant
No. But it was a fun tank to watch.

I think you need to find another hobby.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store