Question about sexing Festae....

rmkblades

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2013
America
Ok, so up until know I thought I had more or less figured out how to identify the sex of sub adult Festae. From what I understood, the males will have more spangling, will tend to be less vibrant in color, sometimes green with no stripes (although some males can be very red and very striped) and according to this article which I have posted...will never have black on their dorsal fins. The black on the dorsal fin is almost a dead giveaway for identifying a female from what I understood. The articles quotes Jeff Rapps as saying "the female can also obtain the blue spangling, but never will a male get a Black dorsal".

http://bigguapote2.tripod.com/articlefestaesex.html

However, I found this photo of a male and female Festae pair with their fry...But the male clearly has a black dorsal...????

The reason I'm asking is because I have a Festae which I believed to be female, but she/he has blue spangling along with the black dorsal. Now I'm not sure if she is a he...anyways....hope some of you Festae keepers can chime in. Thanks

festae.jpg

festae.jpg

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
When guarding fry, many new world male cichlids seem to change color to match a sort of female coloration.
To give an example (although not festae) here is the normal color of a male Herichthys carpintus.

But during the time of raising fry, the sexual differences tend to blurr, note how the dorsal fin of male on the right has darkened.

rmkblades

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2013
America
Hmm, I see. Here are my two Red Terrors. I know the one in the first two pics is a male, and thought that the one in the bottom two pics was a female, but now I'm not sure. They are not a pair, nor have they showed any mating behaviors. These are just their normal colors. Can someone help me figure out if the bottom pics are a female? Thanks

MALE
Male 2.jpgMale Festae.jpg

Is this a FEMALE?
Female 1.jpgFemale 2.jpg

Male 2.jpg

Male Festae.jpg

Female 1.jpg

Female 2.jpg

viejafish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2013
Northeast
Have you attempted to vent them? Just net the suspect male and female and compare their vent side by side. If the vent size is different, they are of opposite sex, otherwise, they are of the same sex. The larger vent of the two fish is the female.

viejafish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2013
Northeast
They do look like male in the pics, but still young and can change color as they mature. So don't believe in what anyone says. Vent them to confirm.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store