Will my sponge filter be okay? Adding prime after water change is complete.

Adamrhh

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2010
Ohio
www.theratpub.com
Okay I will start off with saying I've always added my dechlorinator after the water change and have never had any problems. However, I've recently set up a 29g with 2 sponge filters as my filters. I've grown concerned during my python water change of this tank in particular, is it okay to still do a water change then fill up with my python then after dose with my prime? What I'm afraid of is the tap water killing the sponges BB. I've never worried about this before since the filter media on my other tanks are all out of the water.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Just a thought.
In my city, chloramine (4 parts chlorine combined with 1 part ammonia) is used as a distribution system disinfectant, with a residual meant to kill pathogenic bacteria out to the farthest reaches of the system. Microbiological tests were done on the biofilm that coats the pipes. The biofilm contained healthy colonies of ammonia using bacteria.

Adamrhh

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2010
Ohio
www.theratpub.com
So, my sponge filters should be okay when doing a water change with the untreated water in the tank for the amount it takes to finish filling up for me to add my prime?

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
Just use prime when done siphoning, before refilling. Use enough to treat the entire tank when full. No problems doing this for years.

Check out safe. It's the powdered version of prime. More cost effective, and not quite as smelly to me.

Sent from my SM-N900T using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

I see what you mean but the bb is still technically "in the tank" water itself inside the HOB or canister or sump (unless you shut off your filters during water changes? I don't). You should be ok.

Adamrhh

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2010
Ohio
www.theratpub.com
I see what you mean but the bb is still technically "in the tank" water itself inside the HOB or canister or sump (unless you shut off your filters during water changes? I don't). You should be ok.
This tank ONLY has sponge filters and not a HOB or canister. I think I should be okay though with adding the prime before refilling. I highly doubt it will kill all my BB unless I'm specifically cleaning under tap.

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
This tank ONLY has sponge filters and not a HOB or canister. I think I should be okay though with adding the prime before refilling. I highly doubt it will kill all my BB unless I'm specifically cleaning under tap.
Yes

Sent from my SM-N900T using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store