Lepidiolamprologus nkambe/kedalli info

Zeke

Banned
Jan 29, 2014
chattavegas
Anyone keep Lepidiolamprologus nkambe/kendalli? My wife has a large Lake Tanganyika tank and she likes them a lot. Thinking about getting some to put in her tank as a lone species for the most part. Bluegrass aquatics has some I think. Anyone else keep them so she can have a couple different blood lines? She likes L.elongatus as well. I think it's because she has had a bunch of Crenicichla(South American Pike Cichlids) and had really good luck with them.I know that the African Leps stay smaller than the Lugubris species she had and she likes that part,as well as the color and nasty supposed attitude. Any one with thoughts or that has kept/or has them now, let me know. Thanks a lot.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I've kept them when I was into Africans,very beautiful fish,especially when they get near their full size.If I remember correctly the elongatus was the most agressive of them.It wasn't enough for mine to defend a cave or hiding spot but it would come out and chase other fish around.I think the elongatus grows the largest of them.

crenicichla444

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2013
Michigan
I've kept them when I was into Africans,very beautiful fish,especially when they get near their full size.If I remember correctly the elongatus was the most agressive of them.It wasn't enough for mine to defend a cave or hiding spot but it would come out and chase other fish around.I think the elongatus grows the largest of them.
Very cool fish indeed. Profundicola is the largest

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Oh yeah,I forgot about that one...memory lane lol.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Although very fierce in appearance, my elongatus were non-aggressive when kept with other cichlids of dissimilar shape, and large enough not to swallow. They were about 5"-7", slightly smaller Synodontus catfish were ignored, but any dither sized fish such as tetras eventually disappeared.

Reactions: pepsicanic

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Nice shots,photos like these that show off the teeth and the yellow "eyeliner" are part of what initially impressed me with these fish.The kendalli/nkambe were and probably still are my favorites of the group.

Zeke

Banned
Jan 29, 2014
chattavegas
You think an 80 breeder is large enough to have 6-8? I have read that when they pair up, nothing is safe in the tank. Any suggestions on tankmates? She really likes the compressiseps/calvus look. Maybe if we got larger ones of that genus? Also, are they as shy/skittish as I've heard?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
My elongtus were not shy, but because they are a lurk and strike predator, they do like to be sit and wait, in generally camouflaged way.
I would not call them outgoing, or active, when not spawning.
I kept them in a 125, and when they spawned, removed all other fish.

after the 3rd spawn, the male killed the female in the same tank.

stempy

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2011
Galloway, OH
I've had them twice both times my nkambae culled themselves down from 6-8 fish to a single pair. My current pair are about 4 inches so still waiting for them to mature a little bit more and hopefully they will start spawning. Definitely one of my favorite fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store