Chinese Sturgeon Extinction

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
I just read this article and it made me sad :

http://www.travelerstoday.com/artic...sturgeons-china-going-extinct-140-million.htm

It looks like the Chinese sturgeon (Acipenser sinensis)which is over 140,000,000 years old as a specie is on the brink of extinction. There are around 100 left in the wild. They are native to the Yangtze river which has become terribly polluted. Polluted to the point that during the August annual spawn this year of 2014, there were no eggs found in the river and not a single hatchling reported. Fisherman's nets, boat propellers and illegal trade in caviar also have contributed to their declining numbers.

The Chinese Sturgeon live most of their lives in the Oceans, then return to freshwater rivers to spawn. They grow to 9 feet and 500lbs. They're on the critically endangered list.

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
That looks incredible.

Was that a serious post or sarcasm? lol :)

Sent from my SM-N900T using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Ponera

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
nobody is shocked. The Yangtze river is a **** hole. Almost every river and ecosystem in China is doomed and the best part is they import **** like asian carps to North America to dick over our ecosystems as well.

I am constantly baffled at how a population can be so apathetic. They exploit every single resource in an abusive way, lately in Vietnam they eat pangolins because they can because it's a huge deal to eat endangered animals there even if they taste awful. It's a status thing, like when they imported 10% of the remaining ploughshare tortoises from Madagascar just to sell because their yellow color (gold) is "lucky."

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
nobody is shocked. The Yangtze river is a **** hole. Almost every river and ecosystem in China is doomed and the best part is they import **** like asian carps to North America to dick over our ecosystems as well.

I am constantly baffled at how a population can be so apathetic. They exploit every single resource in an abusive way, lately in Vietnam they eat pangolins because they can because it's a huge deal to eat endangered animals there even if they taste awful. It's a status thing, like when they imported 10% of the remaining ploughshare tortoises from Madagascar just to sell because their yellow color (gold) is "lucky."
I couldn't agree more about china's environmental policies. All they care about is economic security.

I read about the pangolins and how their scales are a new substitute for rhino horn. So they're hunted for status eaters and as medicine for the ill. Laboratory analysis shows that rhino horns are made of keratin, same substance as our fingernails :what:

bichir12158

Gambusia
Jun 24, 2014
Modesto California
Its china they eat everything ive seen reports were they eat pills made of dwad babe because its said to be good for you they gonna eat each other to extinction

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I couldn't agree more about china's environmental policies. All they care about is economic security.

I read about the pangolins and how their scales are a new substitute for rhino horn. So they're hunted for status eaters and as medicine for the ill. Laboratory analysis shows that rhino horns are made of keratin, same substance as our fingernails :what:
A little off topic but I've always wondered who comes up with this stuff and how it gets spread throughout the populace.I mean ground up deer antler,bear balls and tiger's paws...now it's the pangolin scales.

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
I think a lot of it is tradition. Traditions that came to be before science and testing. Some guy healed from cancer after eating rhino horns in some village. Even though it was probably coincidentally the word spread and now everybody wants horns.

I get that part because cultural traditions are strong. But the whole eating the rarest, most expensive and endangered animal as being a sign of social status... Can't understand it, I would have had to of grown up with it being the cultural norm to understand it.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
I think a lot of it is tradition. Traditions that came to be before science and testing. Some guy healed from cancer after eating rhino horns in some village. Even though it was probably coincidentally the word spread and now everybody wants horns.

I get that part because cultural traditions are strong. But the whole eating the rarest, most expensive and endangered animal as being a sign of social status... Can't understand it, I would have had to of grown up with it being the cultural norm to understand it.

Is that all that different from us in this hobby wanting the rare and unusual?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store