Best ways to add air to a large aquarium?

tbold

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2014
United States
So I have a 180 gallon system, and admittedly it is a bit overstocked, but with 3 canister filters all rated up to 240 gallons each, I feel there is adequate filtration on the system. The water is always clear, and I do weekly testing and bi-weekly water changes. However, despite the presence of a 4-ft long buried bubble wand and an additional 1 ft bubble brick, and 2 powerful air pumps, I find the slower moving fish like my plecos and bichirs zooming to the surface to gulp 5-6x daily.

The tank also have two 1200 GPH circulation pumps on the bottom, 1 on either side, and two 600 GPH powerheads, 1 on either side.

Do you guys have any other methods for a sand substrate tank that can assist in increasing the air flow in the tank? Would like a permanent solution and doesn't have to be aesthetically pleasing, just needs to get the job done. Open to any suggestions, thanks!

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I'm not sure about the pleco but I think that is normal for bichirs?

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
Many fish will go to the surface to grab air randomly. Does not mean that there isnt sufficient dissolved O2, some fish just do. Birchir and pleco do as do corys and many other fish. Birchir actually have lungs unlike other fish. Ive never used an air pump other than transporting fish but if you have surface agitation then gas is constantly being exchanged and I doubt low o2 is an issue.

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
My pleco used to do this. Plecos use air for bouyancy, so I think they are simply replenishing their supply.

There are a few odd cases where O2 levels could be low:

1) the surface of the water is actually not in contact with air, but is in contact with the cover or some type of non permeable film. This could severely reduce oxygen in the water
2) the temperature of the water is extremely high
3) excessive amounts of organisms (plants lacking a light source, fish, bacteria, etc.) are consuming oxygen faster than it's being added to the tank
4) water in the tank is extremely stagnant

Otherwise, I can't imagine how your tank's oxygen levels would be low given how much you circulate it.

Vanica

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2014
Alberta, Canada
Perfectly normal behaviour for bichirs and plecos. Mine do it all the time.

tbold

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2014
United States
Cool the water a bit maybe?
There is a heat wave going on in California right now - been treating with ice cubes twice a day and a floating ice pack that only stays cold for a couple hours. The elevated water temperature in the tank is exaggerating the problem. Did a 25-30% water change again last night to cool the water down and remove nitrates.

Many fish will go to the surface to grab air randomly. Does not mean that there isnt sufficient dissolved O2, some fish just do. Birchir and pleco do as do corys and many other fish. Birchir actually have lungs unlike other fish. Ive never used an air pump other than transporting fish but if you have surface agitation then gas is constantly being exchanged and I doubt low o2 is an issue.
The canister filters each have a tube system return so that water is flowing on the surface constantly, but there's a pane of glass in the middle that the air bubbles hit when hitting the surface - is that cutting down on the available oxygen?

My pleco used to do this. Plecos use air for bouyancy, so I think they are simply replenishing their supply.

There are a few odd cases where O2 levels could be low:

1) the surface of the water is actually not in contact with air, but is in contact with the cover or some type of non permeable film. This could severely reduce oxygen in the water
2) the temperature of the water is extremely high
3) excessive amounts of organisms (plants lacking a light source, fish, bacteria, etc.) are consuming oxygen faster than it's being added to the tank
4) water in the tank is extremely stagnant

Otherwise, I can't imagine how your tank's oxygen levels would be low given how much you circulate it.
Thanks for this list. From this, I can't deduce that this is a problem of stagnant water, seems like flow is just fine. I have seen some types of air pumps that are in bare-bottom tanks with a foam cylinder wrapped around them and a vertical plastic tube coming out. Do you know how these work? Do they work with sand bottom tanks?

Perfectly normal behaviour for bichirs and plecos. Mine do it all the time.
Do you other fish gulp at the surface or no?

Really appreciate everyone's help and quick responses!

PhysicsDude

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2011
Dallas, TX
I constantly have 02 issues because I don't have air stones in my tank (for aesthetic reasons), and I don't have a lot of surface agitation to keep evaporation low.

I connected an air pump directly before the feed of my circulation pump via a fitting like this one:

So that I'm feeding air directly into the pump. The impeller breaks the air into little tiny bubbles, and then there is about 4-5 feet of PVC pipe the bubbles travel through before exiting out into the tank. The small bubbles and long exposure time to the water help dissolve the oxygen into the water. It works fine. I am able to keep a healthily stocked tank oxygenated with little surface agitation and no air stones. Its the same theory of a Co2 reactor that heavily planted tank guys use to get Co2 into their water.

The only downside is the air in the pump makes the pump kind of noisy. Probably not an issue for most though.

reptilerescued

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2014
nepa
T
BOLDThanks for this list. From this, I can't deduce that this is a problem of stagnant water, seems like flow is just fine. I have seen some types of air pumps that are in bare-bottom tanks with a foam cylinder wrapped around them and a vertical plastic tube coming out. Do you know how these work? Do they work with sand bottom tanks?
^^^
that is a sponge filter
they work fine in sand tanks I have two tanks with sand bottoms one with puffers and one with the Gar all my tanks have custom built sponge filters. Accept the Gar tank that has a deep blue 125 g rated sponge filter ( it's a 160 g tank) bought from auquatichobbies on ebay.
You will need to order one as they are old skewl tech, the big box and LFS's don't carry them. ( or you can make on in like 15 minutes)
They are cheap under 15 bux after shipping.
as far as your fish surfacing that is normal. the bichir has a lung and the pleco's just do it. maybe like another said to fill the swim bladder.

my pleco is in with the puffers in 1.004 salinity and the temp is 84 F in the tank. I run one giant HOB and two GIANT sponge filters. the guppies GSP's and plecos are doing great ina 55 G tank.

Rich

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store