What do you think?

jandb

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2009
Lewis Center, OH
Well. As a kid I wanted nothing but big,mean fish. That evolved into mixed communities and now I have a heavily plated 340 with a shoal of rummynose and rainbows and dennison barbs as the centerpiece. I'd like to do something large again and have always been a fan of cichla. I'd like to do a large SA community tank. I've been looking for a nice,used acrylic tank of at least 8x4x2. That said, does this plan make sense?

I currently have a 75, 90 and 100 open and cycled in my basement. At first I thought I'd like to do something more aggressive and big with cichla being the centerpiece but now I'm leaning more towards doing something more docile like the cichla with large geophagus, maybe a montoro, something that schools like black bar silver dollars, a flag tail prochilodus and an arrowana. I'd like to do a jardini but don't know if they're too aggressive. I also plan on some catfish like a giraffe or tiger shovel nose.

Does it make sense to start getting the geophagus and maybe silver dollars or arrowana at a smaller size and grow them out in one of the tanks then they'll be ready when I get the large tank I can Get the bass? It seems like the ones I'd be looking at are sold mostly in the 5"-6" range. I'm also a little worried that the geophagus couldn't hold their own. I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks.

sabmakj21

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2014
Hawaii
I'd say no to the Jardini, but yes to a Silver or Black. I've seen guys with community tanks of that make-up, so definitely viable. I personally would just like to do bass and aro.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

jandb

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2009
Lewis Center, OH
I think I'll pass on the jardini and do a silver or black. If I'm going to start getting smaller fish to grow out in the 75, 90, 100 which species would you start with. I'm thinking for sure the geophagus and may start looking for the montoro. Any ideas?

gangster

Arapaima
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2008
mountains
I think I'll pass on the jardini and do a silver or black. If I'm going to start getting smaller fish to grow out in the 75, 90, 100 which species would you start with. I'm thinking for sure the geophagus and may start looking for the montoro. Any ideas?
Look for marble motoro and cichla kelberi. Both fairly easy to find.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store