Atlantic Stingray

irishfish87

Feeder Fish
Sep 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Hey all, my first time posting.

I've admired from afar for a while but now I have a reason to post for my own.

Long story short: I want a stingray. I've been obsessed since I was a little kid, and am just now in the financial situation to feel comfortable trying. I originally looked into getting a freshwater scobina ray, but I live in Florida, so it's a no-go. Not only is the Atlantic ray the most accessible to me, but it honestly is the one I really want. My LFS has them in 400 gallon freshwater display tank. It is FILLED with other fish, so I feel bad for these guys, but they really are the cutest to me and have the best personalities.

After doing weeks' worth of obsessive internet searches, I realize that they cannot be kept in a freshwater tank for any time. As it stands, I have an empty 125 gallon tank and stand that I would like to use as a starter tank to see if I can successfully rear a ray (they are sold here at about 4-5" disk). If I can keep it alive, I would most definitely upgrade to a 225 or higher wide acrylic. I don't really care about any other fish for a tank that size, so while cost isn't the biggest issue, it would be a waste to start off that size if it doesn't survive.

I do not want to purchase the ray with a trial and error approach. I want to feel as comfortable and confident as possible before the purchase, as the life of the animal is most important to me.

Some of my questions are:

1) I have freshwater tanks that are highly successful, but I have never kept a brackish or salt tank. Should I introduce the ray to a fully cycled freshwater tank, then slowly increase the salinity to brackish and then full marine?
2) What would the best filtration system be? I have two Emperor 400's but I was told to look into canisters, something I'm not familiar with in the least.
3) I use a high volume of plant life in my other tanks and they do an incredible job with water quality. What would be some good potted plants that I could utilize in a transitional environment?
4) I've read that CaribSea's Arag-Alive is the best substrate to use, is this okay during the entire transition or only with salt?

Thanks so much in advance!

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
You have some great questions, and I'm glad you actually researched the purchase. So many Atlantic rays die in FW due to pet stores not knowing what they are.

You best bet to be successful with one is buy from a collector who keeps it in saltwater it's entire life instead of buying through a store.
If you need help finding a good source in FL, let me know.

To specifically answer you questions:

1) If you are getting an Atlantic that is in FW, yes put it into an established FW tank. Understand your water change routine should double to keep up with waste production. I would increase the salinity over at least a two week period via slow water changes with increased salt levels. They can thrive at 20ppt-35ppt...but with a fish like that, lower is fine. Helps cut back on salt mix cost as well.

2) The best thing for messy eaters and bigger bodied animals (like this will be) is mechanical filtration. Get the waste out of the water prior to it feeding into the nitrogen cycle.

3) For plants - nothing will last. If the ray doesn't flatten them, the salt will kill them anyway.

4) You can run that substrate in a brackish tank. It will help buffer the pH and keep it stable where you want it.

irishfish87

Feeder Fish
Sep 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Hey Zoodiver! Thanks so much for the quick response!

Don't think I'm a creep, but before I created the post, I was trying to figure out how to contact you directly. I've seen your posts all over this site and some other forums too (I think?) and you seemed like you have so much knowledge about rays!

After doing about 4 more hours of research last night (this is getting to be my daily norm, even if I'm re-reading the same stuff over and over), I am more nervous than ever about the Atlantic rays. While there are plenty of "I got a new ray!" stories, I'm really put off by the fact that I have yet to find a single success story (two years was the best I could find, and 2 years out of a potential 10 year life span is not an acceptable success story). And it really doesn't seem like there is much info out there as to the care of this specific species. The one thing I DO see is that a lot of ray keepers and aquarists seem to REALLY not prefer them and warning against them.

I'm starting to feel like I should maybe just try a smaller, fully saltwater ray. I've seen on numerous posts that you have made that you warn against blue spotted rays, but you have suggested yellow stingrays a few times, which I had never even heard of before. In reading up on them some more, it seems like there is a LOT more info regarding them and their care, and it seems like they may be a more easily cared for species. And I like the idea that they can live longer if properly cared for. Do you think this is a better choice?

So now, because I have never had a saltwater tank before, I am researching their setup and maintenance like a fiend. This will drag out the process longer, but I'm ok with that, because I'm not just going to cycle a saltwater tank and throw a ray in it. I definitely want to get accustomed to caring for a saltwater tank before doing that getting some starter species and all. Then I figure I'll move up to the bigger tank and all the fish in danger from the ray can stay in the 125 (an epaulette would be awesome to have someday, too- are they ok with rays?). The 125 is a wide version of a standard glass tank. Is this ok for a salt tank or do I HAVE to have a drilled tank? I keep reading different things so I figure asking someone with experience is better. Or if you know any good sources to point me towards that'd be great.

For future reference: I am a little nervous about ordering a ray online. If I can just drive a few hours to pick it up, should I do that, or does the packing and shipping stress it out less?

Any feedback or suggestions? Thanks so much.

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
I like the way you plan things out.

Yes. I absolutely suggest a yellow ray for a first SW ray. They are hardy, acclimate well to tank life and will even breed for you (if you are trying to do that down the line). They are also very fun to watch - active and colorful with a cool pattern. Being that you are in Orlando, if you are willing to make a trip to the Keys, I can put you in touch with a great collector I use. I've bought many rays from him over the years for various projects. You can see the animals first hand in his holding prior to buying.

As for the tank, you don't HAVE to have a drilled tank with a sump. That is just one method of providing the filtration. One of my pup tanks was a shallow 6 foot acrylic that used only hang on filters and power heads to keep it clean.

irishfish87

Feeder Fish
Sep 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Thanks so much again for the fast response.

Ok, well I think this is what I have settled on then. I would love for you to put me in touch with the collector when I'm ready. That would be great. It will probably be a few months, though. Like I said I just want to make sure I know what I'm doing, haha.

Right now I'm trying to figure out if I can run the two Emperor 400s or if I should get a better filter. I'm reading about canister filters, specifically these Fluval G Series. I should definitely get live rock, right? I'm reading about different kinds and curing and all of that right now. I figure I can arrange it in areas so the ray still has plenty of room to swim without scraping himself. And I can still get the same substrate, right? I heard that is the softest for them.

I have various powerheads so I will definitely utilize those. Do I need a protein skimmer?

I'm sorry I have all these questions. I just want to go out this weekend and get all the initial things I need to start cycling, and different sources are confusing me. :/

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
Pt skimmer is a great tool to have. Do you NEED one, no - as long as the other filters do the job and there is plenty of surface movement to help with gas exchange. Most people end up using one to help just because it ends up being easier.

NovaSS

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2013
Panama city Florida
I was wondering how big does the atlantic stingray get? Because here in the panhandle of florida, ive caught what looks identical to the atlantic stingray the size of a small car in the bay and probably close to 200lbs if not more.

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
The Atlantic ray looks very similar to the much larger Southern ray (most likely what you are seeing). They are in the same genus. A Southern pup looks almost identical to an adult Atlantic. The key to look for is the Atlantic ray will have a bit of a point at the nose. Southerns are what you will typically see in US public aquariums if you see a big stingray.

Atlantic ray (Dasyatis sabina):

Southern ray (Dasyatis americana):

irishfish87

Feeder Fish
Sep 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Hey Zoodiver.

I am surely talking my time, haha. There's so much to learn.

I've decided to do an overflow box and sump with a skimmer. I went to the different stores this weekend and was grateful and lucky to have the one shop's actual owner spend about an hour with me answering all my questions, knowing I wasn't going to buy anything that day.

The only thing that has me worried now is she said she thinks it's unethical to keep stingrays, and that they never live. I see plenty of stuff that says otherwise online, but it made me even more certain that I want to be more experience with saltwater in general before purchasing one!

NovaSS

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2013
Panama city Florida
Hey Zoodiver.

The only thing that has me worried now is she said she thinks it's unethical to keep stingrays, and that they never live. I see plenty of stuff that says otherwise online, but it made me even more certain that I want to be more experience with saltwater in general before purchasing one!
As long as they have a big enough tank or pond and are feed right. A stingray lives a long healthy life in captivity. Theres a lot of us on here who have had cortez and other rays for years.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store