Pickle/Cucumber strip in the tank?

BassetsForBrown

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2012
Boston
I was at a LFS in a town far away from me today and saw what appeared to be a long sliced strip of a Cucumber or something clipped onto the inside of some of their Cichlid tanks. Didn't want to ask them what was going on... Is this a legitimate feeding method or are they just buffoons?

allathlete5

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2014
Southern California
I prefer zucchini over cucumber, but it's pretty common to feed veggies to cichlids. I slice up a zucchini and spread it out on a long skewer and throw in the tank once a week. My africans LOVE it, as well as my pleco and synos.

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
It's most likely zucchini. I slice it and feed it to my plecos but some of my cichlids will also peck at it. I also feed Romaine lettuce and shelled peas to things like severums and uaru.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
There are many cichlids, and other fish that have evolved long digestive tracts that allow them to process and eat overhanging leaves and fruits. As adults xCichlasoma pearsei and bocouti are mainly vegetarian, and many of Vieja types are fruit eaters in nature.
My bocourti will do serious damage to dandelions I pull from my yard.

before

after

Etroplus suratensus from India and Sri Lanka is also primarily vegetarian, I pull clumps of hair algae and hornwort from my pond that they eagerly chomp down.

In Mexico I watched these salt water fish grazing overhanging tree leaves.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store