Angelfish Egg Problem

HZO

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2013
My angelfish laid eggs about an hour ago, but there is a bit of a problem. The eggs are on a 15-20 pound rock. I have a small infestation of ramshorn snails in the tank, as well as a bunch of tetras, so it is important that I get the eggs into my mesh breeder box ASAP. My question; how do I safely get the eggs off of the rock and into the box?

decoy50

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2012
VA
Honestly, I'd write this spawn off & wipe the rock down. Remove the rock & add another breeding surface - maybe get a piece of smooth slate from your LFS. Angels are prolific breeders, get prepared for next time & keep up with WCs & heavy feedings and you should have another spawn in a couple weeks.

jclyde13

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2009
Louisville, KY
Honestly, I'd write this spawn off & wipe the rock down. Remove the rock & add another breeding surface - maybe get a piece of smooth slate from your LFS. Angels are prolific breeders, get prepared for next time & keep up with WCs & heavy feedings and you should have another spawn in a couple weeks.
This.

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

HZO

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2013
Thanks for the advice. They usually lay their eggs on one of the plants in the tank, all of which can fit in the box, this is just the odd spawn out. I wouldn't make a big deal of this, but I have never had any of the fry live to be free-swimming, and this is the first time that they have laid eggs in a month or so.

decoy50

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2012
VA
Its going to be hard to get successful fry in a community tank like yours, I don't go in much for the breeding box contraptions. If you really want to breed them & raise a spawn - look for a 20high on CL, keep it bare bottom, paint the bottom & back, buy a ceramic pot for a breeding surface and dedicate it for your breeding tank. It will be a pretty inexpensive setup. Room light will be sufficient & all you need is a sponge filter.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
If you wait until the eggs hatch, you can siphon out the wrigglers into a breeder box, but trying to scrape them off the rock will probably destroy them.
You mention they have spawned before, have the eggs ever hatched?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store