Urgent Aimara Help

Oxydoras

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2009
West Coast
This morning I received a 10" Colombian aimara, which came in great shape. However after the first few hours in his tank (75 gallon quarantine), he has begun to jump extremely hard against the top. Over the past 5 hours or so, he has done it probably two dozen times causing a bit of damage to himself (missing teeth on the lower jaw and a fair bit of damage to the underside of his jaw)

I'm terribly worried if he keeps this up he'll end up killing himself. I have covered the tank in a black sheet and lowered the water level by about 6", but this has done very little to discourage his self mutilation. I can't seem to find anything that could be stressing him out to this degree. Water parameters are spot on, and there's great oxygenation and water flow.

Does anyone have any tips/secret tricks that could save my precious new acquisition before it's to late?

Blkpiranha

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2007
It probably is the 75 gallon tank, at the size of 10" he is probably bugging out as the tank is too small, quarantine or not. My 18" one bugged out in a 150 gallon and finally died from the stress but there was nothing I could do as I had nowhere to put him as he was a killer. Mine would go on a rampage every once in a while and rearrange the entire tank and after he did he would sit in the middle breathing like a mad man as if he just ran a marathon. One day after he did this he never recovered and died.

I would be putting yours in a bigger tank asap.

Oxydoras

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2009
West Coast
You think it's due solely to the tank size? I'm going to be setting up his 240 in less than two weeks, do you think he'll last that long, or is there something/anything else I should do in the immediate future?

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Keep the room that the tank is in quiet and dark and put a rush on that 240.I wouldn't think it would be antsy over new and smaller surroundings but then I've never had aimara....

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
Wolves hate being transported - shipping or anything.

IF it's hitting the top wrap the top in bubble wrap or something to prevent it from hurting itself. I use bubble wrap for tote lids when transporting jumpy fish.

Does it have a retreat/hideout? Their "home" is their security blanket. I'd try a makeshift cave from driftwood, big piece of pvc tube, something along those lines.

Lastly I'd pack the surface with floating plants.......

You're finding out why I'll only buy lil guys. IF you wanted a pet lion would you go get a grown one from the wild or raise a cub? ;)

Good luck, hopefully he'll calm down before too long.

Oxydoras

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2009
West Coast
Keep the room that the tank is in quiet and dark and put a rush on that 240.I wouldn't think it would be antsy over new and smaller surroundings but then I've never had aimara....
I ended up adding a dozen or so alder cones and a pair of IAL to stain the water, covered the entire tank, turned every light in the house off (up to and including my alarm clock!), and I stayed the night at a friends. I wanted her to be in complete darkness and silence.

The 240 has been put on DEFCON 5, and, should everything go smoothly and according to plan, be up and running by Sunday the 28th. It's hard to find 6 friends willing to break their back moving this tank! It's 3/4" thick low lead glass, the tank is an absolute monster...necessary to grow out a fish equally as monstrous...

johnnytaboo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 4, 2005
MD, DC, VA
Electric shock? Is everything in the tank grounded?
^This. You would be suprised how frequently an old heater leaks voltage into a tank. It happened to me when I ordered my Odoe's, as well as another member who recently ordered fish.

Oxydoras

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2009
West Coast
Wolves hate being transported - shipping or anything.

IF it's hitting the top wrap the top in bubble wrap or something to prevent it from hurting itself. I use bubble wrap for tote lids when transporting jumpy fish.

Does it have a retreat/hideout? Their "home" is their security blanket. I'd try a makeshift cave from driftwood, big piece of pvc tube, something along those lines.

Lastly I'd pack the surface with floating plants.......

You're finding out why I'll only buy lil guys. IF you wanted a pet lion would you go get a grown one from the wild or raise a cub? ;)

Good luck, hopefully he'll calm down before too long.
Thanks for all the advice DB!

She does have a large hide in the form of half a 14" terracotta pot, but she seems more content hiding behind one of the large sponges. I'll be contacting a fellow hobbyist who specializes in planted tanks for a grocery bag full of water lettuce and frogbit. I want the 240 to have about 75% of the waters surface covered in floating plants, both to discourage jumping, and to reduce the amount of light.

Any suggestions on moving her from the 75 to the 240, with the least possible amount of stress?

Oxydoras

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2009
West Coast
Electric shock? Is everything in the tank grounded?
Everything is grounded (I always make sure), and there is no current in the tank. Certainly a good question though!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store