Purigen overdose?

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
I have a 240 with a 100 gal moving bed sump an an Eheim 2262 for filtration. Medium stock level and weekly 50% water changes. I am getting ready to bring a 600 gallon tank on line sharing the sump but that is still a month off. A week ago I added 4 liters of Purigen to the cannister. Instantly I have completly invisible water! This is a good thing.
My concern is that my fish barely eat now. I have a jaguar cat I was always afraid would explode but is starting to get a sunken belly. I am pulling the purigen out for now. Is it possible to have too much of a good thing? Ph is 8.2 and all the N are zero. Yes, zero nitrates. I guess the purigen has adsorbed it all. What is your experience with a Purigen overdose?

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

wrslrcichlid

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2011
Battle Creek, MI
I personally have not used purigen, but plan to once I get all of my tanks up and running. But, based on my reading you cannot overdose purigen because it doesn't add anything to the water. The only negative thing I can think of about adding a large amount of purigen is by removing all of the waste their is nothing left for your beneficial bacteria, so maybe you are having a mini cycle. You stated your nitrates were zero, which is great but do you get any readable amounts of ammonia? This is really just a shot in the dark, but maybe plausible.

Last thing, I am assuming you bought the purigen new and not used from someone else, otherwise it is possible there was some residual bleach from a recharge or something like that.

noside

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2014
NJ
Purigen is an absorbing media it doesn't leach anything unless you recharge it incorrectly. New out of the bag no I don't see it being possible to overdose. Possibly if the bag you have it in is not fine enough and some got into the display and was ingested then that might cause a problem. I know purigen is super small.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
It is new, rinsed Purigen. The bag is 100 micron and Purigen is 180.
No, there is zero ammonia. Keep in mind this is brand new, only been in a week. It may be adsorbing all the ammonia.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

spiff44

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2007
Midwest
I was up to 2.5 gallons of Purigen and it turned out to be too much. But the issue was that it was just stopping flow from so much resistance since its such a fine medium and requires such a fine bag to contain. 1.5 inches thick is about the limit or it dramatically stops flow.

That's the only issue I saw from having too much.

vr6fan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2010
Waukesha, WI
I use a media reactor with my purigen...it utilizes the entire surface area of the purigen...I use about a liter in my 180 overstocked tank and my water is unbelievably clear :)
uploadfromtaptalk1411054609439.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I545 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

vr6fan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2010
Waukesha, WI
How often do you have to recharge it?
About once a month..but as I said that's on a HEAVILY stocked tank with 90 lbs of driftwood (lots of tannins)...I think the reactor is a better idea IMO since I was never getting full coverage using just media bags...the aquatop reactor I use was cheap ($60), and has an adjustable pump so the purigen doesn't get blown out..great investment

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store