Fish Room Tank Background

jandb

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2009
Lewis Center, OH
I'm looking for an economical way to put a black background on my fishroom tanks without painting them. I don't want to paint them because sometime I switch them front view to side depending on what I have down there. I'm also scared away from paying a couple bucks a foot for the plastic background. I'm trying to do a handfull of 10s, two 20 longs, a 40 breeder, 75, 90 and 100. Thanks.

noside

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2014
NJ
Get automotive vinyl and apply it backwards.
I've done this on a couple tanks and you get a lot of standard black vinyl for cheap from somewhere like metrorestyling.com.

What I mean by backwards is on vinyl one side is adhesive the other is color/ pattern. I just use a couple spots of double sided tape along the frame and put the vinyl color side facing into the display. Not only changeable easy but completely able to reuse.

decoy50

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2012
VA
You can get styrofoam insulation from Home Depot/Lowe's - comes in large sheets. Cut it to fit the back of your tank & paint the styro. Then just tape it on. It also traps the heat in the tank & cuts down on your electric bill.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
You can get styrofoam insulation from Home Depot/Lowe's - comes in large sheets. Cut it to fit the back of your tank & paint the styro. Then just tape it on. It also traps the heat in the tank & cuts down on your electric bill.
What kind of paint? I've tested enamel spray paint and it ate the foam.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
OP, I have a friend who uses weed guard fabric, the stuff used in gardening to prevent weed. It looks pretty good on his tanks and its dirt cheap

Fiitchy717

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2014
Wv
Use plasti-dip. Its a rubberized coating in a spray can. If u dont like it you can peel it off. Also comes in different colors if u get tired of black

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store